British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-11-11, 07:34 PM

Default British / Canadian Officers rank colour backing

This is from the "Handbook of the British Army 1943" a WW2 US manual for personnel based in the UK.

My question is does the Canadian colour backing on officers insignia match that of the British Army?

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (36.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (38.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-11-11, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Rob, Yes the colour backings are the same on the officer's rank insignia. However the organization of the Canadian and British armies were somewhat different. There were no equivalent corps / services in the Canadian army to the Army Ed Corps, the Pioneers, Catering Corps, or at that time the Phys Training Corps.
Old 08-11-11, 10:18 PM

Thanks Bill

So there was no Canadian Army Catering Corps, not sure what to say about that

Rob.
Old 08-11-11, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Rob, I believe the RCASC fulfilled their duties.
Old 08-11-11, 10:43 PM

Also, the 1st CanPara officers used red stars instead of light blue of the Para Regt.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 19-08-12, 02:23 PM

Default Pip backing colours

Thanks Rob,

Been all over the net, as well as this forum, (which I haunt regularly, time permitting!), trying to find a list distinguishing British Army rank insignia colours, and this is the first reference I have found.

I am currently trying to identify the cloth pips in my collection.

This is probably my first post here, despite having been a member of this forum for some time, and I must say it is one of the best reference sources on the subject in caption!

Hats off to the many contributors and collectors who constantly upkeep and augment the quality of this site. Thanks for sharing!

I hope to be able to do my own bit at some point, when the pressures of mundane reality recede slightly!

I am posting 2 photos of my cloth pip collection. I hope to add details about the respective bits once I have positively identified all, in terms of branch of service / regts. and in terms of period of provenance and use.

The shoulder tabs in the second photo are a matching pair of Canadian Army Medical Corps epaulettes, which I would say are from WWI. This due to the cadre being given the Royal title and becoming Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps after the Great War, reflected in a change of buttons.

The latter contained the letters R.C.A.M.C. rather than the full name as before.

Any comments above anything you see here are welcome.

http://www.melitomnes.org/resources/...%201%20-LR.JPG

Last edited by Crusaderblood; 27-08-12 at 11:42 AM.