British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-10, 04:27 AM

Default RAF Servicing Commandos

Greetings all.

Firstly I’m not sure if this is the right place for this topic but here goes.

Does anyone know what insignia was worn by the WWII RAF Servicing Commando’s? I would be interested to see some examples of either standard Air Force insignia they wore or was their any special insignia for these units?

Regards, Roy.
Old 07-03-10, 09:42 AM

Default RAF servicing commando

They wore the standard RAF uniform and RAF trade badges with the combined ops badge, either the round version or the tombstone style patch. Both types are pictured in the book on the RAF servicing commandoes. I will look for it and post up the title and author. John.
Old 07-03-10, 10:16 AM

Default RAF

The book is called A History of the RAF Servicing Commando, by J P Kellett And J Davies, Airlife publishing 1989 isbn no. 1-85310-051-X. John.

Last edited by blackpowder44; 07-03-10 at 09:00 PM. Reason: names wrongly spelt
Old 07-03-10, 03:01 PM

Default RAF

Having had a quick look through the above book I find that on arrival at the training centre the RAF personell exchanged their RAF blue uniforms for Army Kharki battledress. RAF blue badges of rank were retained and a new blue berets were issued with RAF cap badges. Combined Ops badges were not worn until after the landings in North Africa. John.
Old 07-03-10, 04:16 PM

Thanks for that John,

Great info. Had no idea a book had been written on the topic.

Many thanks, Roy.
Old 08-03-10, 08:26 PM

Default RAF Servicing Commandos

Hi, You stated you'd love to see pictures of RAF Servicing Commandos!
Hope these are of interest to you!

Regards Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF Servicing Commando 1.jpg (16.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg RAF Servicing Commando 2.jpg (18.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 09-03-10, 04:23 AM

Hi Tony,

Outstanding photos many thanks for posting. The first picture of the guy wearing the knife is very poignant as I have just found one of those knives to add to my collection. This was precisely the reason I posted as I would like a few pieces of insignia to display with the knife.

Thanks Tony, great stuff, best wishes, Roy.
Old 11-03-10, 09:16 AM

What about Assyrian Parachute Company RAF Levies WW2? These guys were RAF men and were airbourne and commando trained. They wore a combination of RAF and Airbourne insignia including para wings and maroon beret.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=217
Old 14-04-10, 03:10 PM

Default New Cloth

Greeting Gent’s,

Okay no need to state the obvious, I know this is not a piece of uniform insignia but it’s such an outstanding piece of cloth I hope you lot wouldn’t mind my sharing it. After all if you guy’s can’t appreciate this then who can?

I acquired it for a display I’m working on with my RAF Servicing Commando knives. The photo of this piece of cloth with the knives will give you some perspective on it’s huge size. It came to me very roughly cut out in a rectangle, no doubt it had once been part of a banner, flag or standard, if you have any other ideas please feel free to wade in.

The quality of this piece is just wonderful and it just didn’t look right ‘roughly’ cut out, so as the damage had already been done and being a dab hand with a needle and thread I decided to trim it to a more appropriate shape and add a little gold braiding to finish the edging off. Even if I do say it myself, I don’t think it looks half bad and I think will make a great centre piece to the display.

Kind regards to all, Roy.

(see also the RAF section)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (1) TA.jpg (76.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg (2) TA.jpg (99.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg (3) TA.jpg (99.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg (4) TA.jpg (91.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 21-04-14, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Greetings all.

Firstly I’m not sure if this is the right place for this topic but here goes.

Does anyone know what insignia was worn by the WWII RAF Servicing Commando’s? I would be interested to see some examples of either standard Air Force insignia they wore or was their any special insignia for these units?

Regards, Roy.
I have just found on Utube a film entitled Making Airfields + Invasion Scenes (1944)The combined opps. badge can be seen as well as their trade ranks.With regards to their issue sheath knife you will clearly see a SNCO fiddling with an empty sheath and he oppears to be wondering where his knife is. John.
Old 21-04-14, 09:46 AM

Default RAF Beach Sqn

Not quite the same thing, but close.
RAF Beach Sqn.01.jpg
Old 21-04-14, 04:56 PM

Hi Mike,

Yes I think it is, thank you for sharing. I was sent this image a couple of years back now by a friend, so not the first time I have seen it but a cracking period image none the less.

All the best, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs. Selous Scouts.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 21-04-14, 05:13 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

There was an article in the Formation Sign journal about RAF Commando qualified personnel wearing the Commando dagger badge - in Oct/Dec 2013 Issue 252 that may be of interest. Mike Jackson's name was also mentioned. I just can't find my copy only my notes about the article.
From memory these were RAF airmen who had successfully completed the RM selection course.
david
Old 21-04-14, 05:58 PM

The article, which was based in part on a piece in the RAF News, states that the two officers - a Flt Lt helo pilot and an RAF Regt FAC - did "the RM selection course". I think it's more likely that they attended and completed the All Arms Cdo Course - a very different thing from the training that a Royal completes prior to joining Command Forces. Mike