British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-12-09, 02:25 PM

Default Dutch badges,what period please

Pictured below are a set of Dutch badges and I would like to know from what period. John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dutch & int. 002.jpg (88.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 08-12-09, 02:54 PM

Hi John, it's for the Dutch army's Garderegiment Fuseliers Prinses Irene. As for the period, I'd say, worn today.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 08-12-09, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hi John, it's for the Dutch army's Garderegiment Fuseliers Prinses Irene. As for the period, I'd say, worn today.

Jo
that was a quick reply, thanks. I was wondering about their "date" because I bought them as a set about 25 years ago. John.
Old 08-12-09, 03:50 PM

John, the cap badge is of the style worn IIRC from the 70s, but, since the Dutch army is relatively unknown to me, I can only guess the time frame.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 08-12-09, 05:14 PM

The top badge is worn on the beret, the next two, are either collar badges (small) or shoulder strap badges (large). The beret badge is worn on a backing patch of Orange with blue border.

Worn since instituted by Army Order number 57 of 1947. The design of the badge was taken from the sleeve badge (shoulder badge) of the Royal Ntherlands Brigade 'Prinses Irene' formed in England on the 11th of January 1941. Became a 'Guards Regiment' in 1948.

Netherlands Army Regimental Badges, by B.C. Cats & C.P. Coenders. Published circa September 1968, by Military Collectors Service, Lingedijk 29, Kedichem, Holland.
Old 08-12-09, 05:35 PM

Speaking for myself, many thanks 54 for the information.
Cheers
Jo

Old 08-12-09, 07:43 PM

Default Dutch badges.

Thanks 54 Bty for your concice reply. Another question for you is , on the lion in the centre of the picture the motto reads Nederland. In H. Coles book he says that this was the WWII motto and it changed to Je Maintiendrai on reforming of the Dutch army in Holland. I was hoping because of the motto on the lion would make this a WWII set. Did the Netherland motto therefor carry on after WWII on certain badges. John.
Old 08-12-09, 08:21 PM

Sorry to say that the book only covers those badges introduced in 1947 (Ministerial Order dated 1946), and how some of them came to be chosen. The only mention of the Lion badge is under the 'Officers of the Military House of H.M. The Queen' who were to wear the badge embroidered in gold wire on black. I have another book on sleve badges (out of reach at the moment) which does have the changes to the wording on the scroll on the cloth sleeve badge. Not sure that the metal Lion badge was worn post 1947 as it is not mentioned in the book.
Old 08-12-09, 08:50 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

54th Is this what you mean by blue border? Blue on ends only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (18.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-12-09, 09:16 PM

Yes that is the backing, the badge is normally fixed by a wire ring which is closed by a small plate and fits into two large rings on the badge.

The English translation does say border, however, some of the other words needed to be translated into correct English. Without getting the box down I think I only have one or two that have a border all the way round.

The badges of rank in the image (bar and 2 stars) are older versions for a LtCol.

Last edited by 54Bty; 08-12-09 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-12-09, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
Thanks 54 Bty for your concice reply. Another question for you is , on the lion in the centre of the picture the motto reads Nederland. In H. Coles book he says that this was the WWII motto and it changed to Je Maintiendrai on reforming of the Dutch army in Holland. I was hoping because of the motto on the lion would make this a WWII set. Did the Netherland motto therefor carry on after WWII on certain badges. John.
Nederland on the scroll under the lion only changed to Je Maintendrai on the shoulder patches, not on the lion cap badge.
The design of the Prinses Irene cap badge is post war.
The lion cap badge was cancelled on 27 February 1960 for the SD cap, in 1946 for the field service cap and the beret.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 09-12-09, 02:42 PM

Default Dutch badges

Isnt it marvelous, I have had these badges for about 25 years. The only thing I knew about them was that they were Dutch. Put them up on here and a flood of information comes in. Collectors now have access to so many other collectors and their knowledge, which is freely given. Brilliant, thanks to all. John.