British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-10, 08:00 PM

Default 1st Divisional Cyclist Company Badge CEF Babin 25-3

Hello,

I myself have noticed that the only cyclists badge that seems to be common is the 2nd Divisional Cyclists Badge Babin 25-4. I paid $38.00 CDN for it.

These badges are highly collectible making them even scarcer yet!

The 1st Divisional Cyclist Company Babin 25-3 was organized on Aug 6,1914 and it disbanded on November15,1920.

Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st Divisional Cyclists Badge CEF Babin 25-3.jpg (91.6 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by mad4thcef; 22-01-10 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Reference Correction 25-1 is actually 25-3
Old 21-01-10, 03:52 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Most of these CEF badges were well struck weren't they. NICE.
Old 21-01-10, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
Most of these CEF badges were well struck weren't they. NICE.
Every CEF badge is a work of art! The nicest ones are always the die struck variety!

Thanks for the comment and looking!

I will be posting more badges soon!

Thanx
Old 21-01-10, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Some more information on the Canadian Cyclists. Each division, 1 through 5 had a Cyclists Company. In 1916, the four Canadian Corps Cyclist Companies were removed from the divisional establishment and combined to form a Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion. They served under Corps command until the end of hostilities in 1918. (D. Love, A Call to Arms, p 151-152.) It is not clear which badges the composite battalion wore, and perhaps they retained and wore their original divisional badge.
The 1920 date is the official "paper" demobilization for the unit, and often the effective de-mobilization had taken place much earlier.
Old 21-01-10, 08:42 PM

Default Cyclist Division CEF

Bill

I have a reference book which has this statement above the badge the mentioned badge.

" The CDN Corps Cyclists Bn formed a Canadian Reserve Cyclist to be located at Chieseldon camp in Wiltshire."

Also the reference says the following; The CDN Corps of Guides was tasked the responsibility of raising the company of CDN Cyclists.

The CDN Corps of Cyclist mobilized with five overseas Cyclist Companies one for each Division. Cyclist Companies 1,2,and 3 were absorbed into the Canadian Cyclist Battalion, while Companies 4 and 5 were broken up and used as reinforcements for the Canadian Cyclist Battalion.

Additionally, there were 13Cyclist Platoons recruited in Canada. These were also used as reinforcements for the overseas Cyclist Battalion.

The Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion was said to be the "Gas Pipe Calvary" and reported to have had a 22% casualty rate, with over half being fatal.

Any wonder the Cyclist Battalion was often referred to as a "Suicide Battalion"

The 1st Canadian Divisional Cyclist Company formed at Valcartier Camp , Quebec 20 september 1914

The Company departed for overseas on SS RUTHENIA Oct 3,1914 and landed in France 12 February 1915.

Unit Strength 50 Officers and 350 ORs.
Disbanded 17 May 1916

The 2nd CDN Div Cyclist Coy formed 23 Oct 1914 at Niagra on the Lake, Ontario Canada.

The Coy departed for overseas duty 15 May 1915 on SS CORINTHIAN.

Unit Strength 9 Officers and 250 ORs.
Disbanded 17 May 1916
The 3rd CDN Divisional Cyclist Coy mobilized 15 August 1915 in Toronto, Ontario,Canada

The Coy departed for the UK in three drafts on board SS LAPLAND and SS MISSANABIE.

Unit Strength 10 Officers and 300 ORs.
Disbanded 17 May 1916

The 4th CDN Cyclists Coy recruited 4 February 1916 at Toronto, Ontario and Winnipeg Manitoba.

The 4th CDN Div Cyclist Coy was broken up in 1917to provide reinforcements to the other companies.

The 5th CDN Divisional Cyclist Coy recruited from across Canadaand mobilized in Toronto,Ontario in April 1916. The Coy departed for the UK 21 January 1917.
Unit Strength 16 Officers and 320 ORs.

The 4th CDN Div Cyclist Coy, originally designated the CDN reserve Coy never appeared at the camp, but insisted they be allowed to remain in France and Flanders rather than take up residence in the british camp in the UK.

The CDN Cyclists Corps Battalion's colours are located at the CDN War Museum in Ottawa,Ontario, Canada

Honours and Awards

DSO-2, MC-6, MC/BAR-1, DCM-4, MM-12

Last edited by mad4thcef; 21-01-10 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old 21-01-10, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Rob, What is the source you quoted?
If I understand the information, that source is suggesting that the badge the Cyclist Battalion wore is the one for the 1 Division Cyclist Coy? Other sources (Taboika, Stewart, Charlton) indicate that the battalion badge was the second one in your last post.
Interesting observation about the units that made up the Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion. The formation patch is a triangle, made up of segments of red, blue and "horizon bleu" (French gray) which were the colours of the first three Canadian Corps divisions. That would reflect the note about the composition, that the Cyclist Companies of those divisions made up the newly formed Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion. Makes sense.
Old 22-01-10, 02:32 PM

Default In Reply Cyclist Bn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Rob, What is the source you quoted?
If I understand the information, that source is suggesting that the badge the Cyclist Battalion wore is the one for the 1 Division Cyclist Coy? Other sources (Taboika, Stewart, Charlton) indicate that the battalion badge was the second one in your last post.
Interesting observation about the units that made up the Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion. The formation patch is a triangle, made up of segments of red, blue and "horizon bleu" (French gray) which were the colours of the first three Canadian Corps divisions. That would reflect the note about the composition, that the Cyclist Companies of those divisions made up the newly formed Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion. Makes sense.
Hello Bill,

The reference is the March Past of the CDN Army Past and Present by Gordon W. Hughes CD.

It shows in this order the badges GS CDN Div Cyclists, 2nd Cyclist Coy,3rd Cyclist Coy, 4th Cyclist Coy, 5th Cyclist Coy, then 1st Cyclist Coy Babin 25-3, and then Cyclist Bn Draft Badge.

I did wonder why the 1st CDN Cyclist badge was shown out of order???

But at least this reference provides some numbers of personel that initially went over with each Coy.

NOTE : The badges I posted were only to show the badge as reference 25-3 is still 1st Divisional cyclist Coy. I didn't mean to confuse anyone! The initial point was to indicate the badge is scarce and far from common and the 3rd,
4th,5th, and draft are even scarcer yet! Those I am still looking for!

Some years ago there was a display at the John McCrae center in Guelph of the Cyclist Coy badges ,pennents, and other memorbilia I can't remember if it was on loan from Ottawa or a private collection.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited by mad4thcef; 22-01-10 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction of Reference Numbers 25-1 to 25-3
Old 07-08-13, 05:07 PM

Default 5th Cyclist Coy badge?

Looking at the badges shown in our CEF projects page and reading this informative thread, am I understanding this correctly that there is only 7 cyclists badges for the CEF (not including die varieties)?

If so, from the badges shown on our projects page, which is the badge for the 5th Coy?
Old 09-08-13, 05:31 AM

Hi,

Only 8

25-1 general service badge CDN Cyclist Corps

25-3 1st Div Cyclist coy

25-4 2nd Div Cyclist coy

25-4 A 2nd Div Cylclist coy leaf pattern with collar badge above as an overlay.

25-3rd Div Cyclist coy

25-6 4th Div Cyclist coy

25-2 5th Div Cyclist coy now this could be a second variety to the 1st Div Cyclists ?

I don't recall reading anything on the fifth. I will have to look into this. Have to dig up cyclist info.

25-7 CDN cyclist draft

For anyone who can clarify please jump in.

Cheers
Rob
Old 09-08-13, 12:37 PM

I should of read what I posted previously.

Reference as previously posted above.

I was sleeping at the switch?
Old 24-01-17, 03:03 PM

Hi all,

I have recently and tentatively branched out to include some Canadian badges in my collection. And just to make it harder for myself - the cyclist battalions.

I have a question, which I hope someone will have the answer to:

With regard to the 2nd Divisional Cyclists, I see from the CEF project there were 2 main types,

1) A Maple Leaf with a regular badge (collar?) in the middle. (I’ll leave this variant aside at present as I assume they are close to unobtainable…)
2) A round badge with a beaver on top.

Of these round badges, there appears to be 2 distinct designs of the maple leaf:

a) What I would characterize as a ‘classic’ shape
b) A much more ‘leafy’ design.

I have seen these 2 designs variously and interchangeably attributed to Tiptaft and to F.T. Proctor. In the CEF project, there is a ‘leafy’ one attributed to Proctor, however in this thread, there is a similar design attributed to Tiptaft. On some dealer sites, they have Proctor as having the ‘classic’ design.

What I am trying to find out is - is there any current view on which maker made the different designs? Or did both makers make both designs?

Much appreciate any help

Cheers, Tim
Old 24-01-17, 08:05 PM

Hi Tim
The Proctor badge has a wide 2. Narrow 2 on Tiptaft with typical Tiptaft lugs.
The badges in the forum reference images has got the Proctor under the Tiptaft badge.
All the best
Dan
Old 25-01-17, 08:42 AM

Thanks Dan, thats great. Do you think it is possible to attribute these two by their lugs?

The CCC has the typical (??) Tiptaft feet (I think...)

Cheers, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6089.jpg (79.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 9.40.22 AM.jpg (84.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 25-01-17, 05:37 PM

Hi TIM
Your CCC has been relugged, the 2nd has the correct lugs. Tiptaft usually has long feet on the lugs but these on the 2nd cyclist are correct for this TIPTAFT badge.
Dan
Old 25-01-17, 06:14 PM

Thanks Dan,

by the look of it, do you think it is a recent re-lug? Or possibly older?

Cheers, Tim