British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-15, 03:57 PM

Eventually went for £76.

Congratulations to buyer and seller both.

Best regards

W
Old 28-03-15, 04:10 PM

Appears to be about the normal going rate for one. Saying that,Scooby doo had one recently ,that went for £125.
Id love to know when they were actually made and for what reason. Anybody know an ex 9th L or 9th/12th L soldier who might know ?
Old 28-03-15, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

They were made to sell to collectors at silly prices for a badge that was not worn by the regt.
Old 28-03-15, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
They were made to sell to collectors at silly prices for a badge that was not worn by the regt.
We are certain they weren't worn by the Regt when it existed. They haven't always been sold at silly prices Alan, i can remember them at £10 - £12. Ive noted that in K and K ,Hugh King mentions also in anodised. Now he wrote his notes in the late 70`s so he must have seen an example of the badge to mention it, had an example or at least had knowledge of it.

I know what hes written with regards to anodised badges isn't perfect ,there are a number of errors within the text .But in general what he has written is pretty accurate.
Old 28-03-15, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Appears to be about the normal going rate for one. Saying that,Scooby doo had one recently ,that went for £125.
Id love to know when they were actually made and for what reason. Anybody know an ex 9th L or 9th/12th L soldier who might know ?
I was doing basic training with the 9th/12th Lancers at Catterick in September 1969 when they were the RAC Training Regiment. As a training squad we were employed for several days on various fatigues in preparation for 'Mons Moy' weekend when the Old Comrades assembled at Cambrai Barracks. During the weekend we worked as waiters and on other support tasks. It was 45+ years ago but I do recall that there were plenty of 9th and 12th Lancer cap badges being worn (amalgamation was only 9 years before in 1960). But were they QC and in anodised aluminium?

Tim
Old 28-03-15, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
I was doing basic training with the 9th/12th Lancers at Catterick in September 1969 when they were the RAC Training Regiment. As a training squad we were employed for several days on various fatigues in preparation for 'Mons Moy' weekend when the Old Comrades assembled at Cambrai Barracks. During the weekend we worked as waiters and on other support tasks. It was 45+ years ago but I do recall that there were plenty of 9th and 12th Lancer cap badges being worn (amalgamation was only 9 years before in 1960). But were they QC and in anodised aluminium?

Tim
Hi Tim, a similar story relates to the anodised 3rd KOH cap badge, they are all unmarked. But the story goes that they were made for a reunion of some kind after they were amalgamated with the 7th Hussars.
Old 30-03-15, 05:00 AM

Hi Guys,

I currently not at home so cannot get hold of my notes/book.

However, I do remember that the badge making companies had a lot of issues with the 9th/12th Lancers badge in A/A and one company at least that had previously made such badges would not re-tender for a subsequent contract.

This info is recorded and covered in my book as is the reference to the letter written by the badge makers to the War Office/MoD currently held in the National Archives at Kew.

Therefore, one can assume that the 9th Lancers was not made before the 9th/12th Lancers or the issue would have been resolved. I believe that the badges were commissioned by a prominent collector/dealer in the late 1980's who also had a lot of other 'exotic' A/A badges made. The maker of these badges was Gaunt and this can be deduced by the 'step' slider used by this company on many of its later pieces.

All the known unofficial commissions made by prominent collector/dealer at the time of printing are also covered in the fakes/repros chapter.

Regards

Chris