British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-08, 06:06 PM

Default WW2 Cdn. Veterinary Corps

I just picked up an R.C.A.V.C. KC badge (post 1920 pattern). It has a broken pin on what appears to be the original pin back. There are no signs of any lugs being removed to accommodate the pin back.

The badge has a short piece of thin brass tubing brazed horizontally at the top to hold the pin and make a basic hinge, and a loop of brass wire at the bottom position which would make the catch. All that is left of the pin itself is a bit of twisted wire that looks like someone twisted the whole works off with pliers, leaving only a stub, so I can't tell what the pin would have looked like.

If anyone has one of these and, maybe rarer still for all I know, if it has a similar pin back, could you post or send me a pic. of the back side of the badge? I'd like some reference for having this restored.
Old 14-11-08, 09:19 PM

Should look like this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCAVC back.jpg (45.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 14-11-08, 09:47 PM

fantastic, thanks Doug!
Old 14-11-08, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Guys, is that type of fastener associated with use on the pagree / tropical helmet?
Old 15-11-08, 12:01 AM

My RCAVC cap badge has a slider - original. This is consistent with the badges worn on the pagri.
I have seen them with lugs.
Mine is: 1 9/16 high x 1 1/4 wide.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 29-12-09 at 11:25 PM.
Old 29-12-09, 01:39 PM

On the lugged cap badges are they attached N-S or are they E-W... thanks
Old 29-12-09, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim a View Post
On the lugged cap badges are they attached N-S or are they E-W... thanks
Jim: there's a good lugged version on Ebay currently which is lugged NS.
Old 29-12-09, 05:16 PM

That's what I was looking at.... thanks
Old 29-12-09, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

I saw that badge as well, and the lugging has raised my suspicions. I don't think I have any Canadian kc cap badges that are lugged n/s. They are all e/w. The orientation is more in keeping with collars. Any thoughts?
Old 29-12-09, 11:23 PM

... except for RCEMC (unicorn), those pesky Kangaroos, the Vancouver Reg/Irish Fusiliers, all NS lugs.
Old 30-12-09, 02:22 AM

Default yeah, but...

all those N-S lug patterns are by neccessity. The badges not being wide enough to accommodate E-W orientation. It would seem that E-W is the rule where width allows.

Looking at the back of the badge for sale on ebay, the lugs and the soldering (excessive) look "sloppy". I wonder if this is not a repair to badge that originally had a pin back?
Old 30-12-09, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

I checked my RCAVC cap badge and it has e/w lugs. However, it is an osd pattern badge.
Old 30-12-09, 03:40 AM

A little of topic, but here's a question. The badge pattern is (essentially) a militia era piece, worn by a tiny corps. It is therefore somewhat rare. I once saw a nominal role to the corps - forget exactly what year it was for. The composition was a very high ratio of commissioned officers - in fact, the composition was almost entirely officers.

Why is it then, in today's market, that the OSD badges are far outnumbered by the OR's bi-metal? Why are the gilt & silver badges excruciatingly rare? It just seems like there should be more of the officers stuff out ther than there is. Go figure?
Old 02-01-10, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting point Doug. One would expect to see officer's badges on the market far more. I can't remember the last time that I saw an officer's RCAVC badge on the market.
The vendor of the badge is a respected dealer out in the maritimes. He has added dimensions to the listing (perhaps one of the Forum members queried him...). The dimensions appear to be consistent with the cap badge size, but the cap and collars are nearly the same size. Still a tough call.
Old 03-01-10, 12:42 PM

I watched that badge till the end of the listing and still couldn't make up my mind on it. Bill Miller's explanation of a pinned badge repair would be the trend to follow on it but spending that kind of cash for something your not sure of is hard to do. The measurements are right and I'm sure the buyer is happy with it so good for him. Also there was one big name badge collector bidding on it so more than likely an original.