British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-20, 03:39 PM

Default BP&Co Ld BHAM. RASC

Hi people,
maybe a common and not very expensive badge, but a talking point all the same. There are many things I do not like about this badge. First and foremost is its so new and shiny looking and the crown does not look right, and maybe even no voiding around the VI, but the makers name on the back makes it of interest. Is it a fake ? I will wait for comments before saying more.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200311_164935.jpg (89.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20200311_165451.jpg (58.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20200311_165257.jpg (92.4 KB, 90 views)
Old 11-03-20, 03:43 PM

It’s a fake and the mark is fake too.
Old 11-03-20, 04:16 PM

Hi Luke, thanks for the reply....that is the point I am trying to make. A non expensive badge but with an uncommon makers mark stamped on the slider. Why go to the trouble on a non expensive badge ? Are there any other examples of this makers mark on fake badges?
Old 11-03-20, 05:00 PM

In the Martin Marsh catalogues they made fake GviR RASC, RE and KC RAF badges. There is even the Arty grenade collar which must be one of the most produced badges in history! Even today originals of these badges are only worth £3-4 and the arty collar perhaps 50p.

The only rationale I can find for the manufacture would appear to be if it sells make it.

The catalogue makes a good sales pitch with the pricing of the fakes stating ‘You will be surprised how little they cost’ adding most range between ‘£1.00 to £2.50’ . The stock list then gives a nice little speil in the introduction about prices customers (presumably dealers) could then charge for these fakes plugging an ‘easy 100% mark up for any of the badges listed’. Therein lies the reason for their existence I feel, money.

As for the fake Bodill Parker mark. Yes they appear on lots of badges often misidentified as Bent & Parker. There are many images scattered around the forum. The markers makers section shows 2 fake marks (Hackney and Welsh Horse) and 1 genuine (Norfolk Yeo).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C7FC560F-74C1-480C-825E-6289188538BF.jpg (22.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-03-20, 05:43 PM

Thanks for that Luke. As disgusting as I find it, every penny is being sucked out of the unsuspecting novice collector, even for the cheaper badges. The makers name on a badge is far from a guarantee of authenticity. A valuable lesson for all of us new to collecting that may not have the knowledge or the eye to spot the apparent floors in the badge. This one was easy to spot,as I already have genuine good examples to compare, and I am learning all the time with the expert help from people like yourself and many others here on the forum.
Best regards, Jim