British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-15, 01:18 PM

Default STG on back of metal RAAF wings

Hi there guys

I was wondering if I could get some help on what STG really means on the back of modern RAAF metal wings. The sellers say that the wings are Sterling Silver but a reputable jeweller friend of mine has looked at some of these wings and said that no way that they are sterling silver. In the 1950s and 1960s the back of the wings had STG SIL on them and he says that is the true description of sterling silver. He feels that STG is trying to allude to a sterling silver badge without opening themselves up to litigation. Does anyone have any thoughts on the modern RAAF metal wings that are produced nowadays? They certainly don't look the same to me when compared to the 1950/1960 production runs. In fact, are the ones that are commissioned in Australia actually produced in Australia?

Regards

Doug
Old 08-03-15, 12:29 AM

hi Doug
lots of views but no replies so I will give it a go.
the STG is sterling. you are correct in that the modern versions don't look to be silver having more a pewter look but I believe they are still supposed to be in silver.
if they are silver then they have also been chemically dulled.
maybe the % of silver has changed?
unfortunately manufacturing costs in Australia are high compared to overseas so I dare say they are now made in Asia somewhere. i believe there is still a requirement to purchase from Australian suppliers however these suppliers often outsource to the cheapest supplier.
there is no doubt the quality of the insignia has declined over the past 100 yrs or so
bc