British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-07-19, 09:09 AM

Default Canadian Scottish badges

I think these are the only Canadian badges from my cabinet ( "Something for everyone" post ) - is there anyway of dating them? The Black Watch has a Kings Crown - anyone interested they're for sale - Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6435.jpg (92.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 18-07-19, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

The top right badge is a sporran badge for the 50th Gordon Highlanders of Canada, but it is damaged. The regimental number has been scraped off the shield portion of the badge. The Black Watch badge is the 1939 pattern, worn until the mid-1950's. The 48th Highlanders is also the Second WW or later era. It appears to be an unfinished badge.
Old 18-07-19, 01:20 PM

Default Boer War Period Badge

Thanks Bill - I'd not spotted the shield on the 50th - and you are right under a glass it does look like the "50" has been erased - but for what purpose I have no idea - the rest of the badge is finely detailed and it can't have been omitted in the manufacture so must have been deliberate. I should have made it clear that all of these pieces were made for swagger sticks. The 48th is I believe to go on the top of a cylindrical cane top - whilst the 50th would have been silver soldered onto a ball top. The Black Watch would have gone onto the side of a cylindrical cane top. Whilst looking at some Canadian badge images prompted by your post I realised that I had another one - which I believe is the Royal Canadian Regt with Victorian crown. (pictures encl)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6437.jpg (91.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6385.jpg (63.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6400.jpg (30.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6415.jpg (104.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6390.jpg (63.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 18-07-19, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, that explains the 48th. The RCR used that style of crown again in the 40's and into the 60's.