British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum  

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-19, 10:55 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi

Having made several recent posts about the "official" OWS badges, I was moved to re-post some of the infinite variety of what you might call the "generic" 1915 badges.

I'm been truly astounded by the range and design of them and I've even bought another (not in the scan) that is yet again different.

Like the small "pie crust" edge one? I do!

By the way, that silver-looking round badge is actually thin silver but not marked as such.
Some fine looking examples there. I have a couple of them myself but I would be a very happy man if I could acquire some of the others. Very nice indeed and great finds, particularly top left and bottom right in the second photo...both stunners.
Cheers
James
Old 01-08-19, 02:34 AM

Talking Why so many 1915 "generics"?

I think that the plethora of these "generic" badges shows the extent to which it was important to be seen to be "doing one's bit" and possibly their seemingly endless variety was the result of either: a) demand from the public or b) the badgemakers and jewellers hoping to make money from the opportunities presented to them. Enamel presented no difficulties as a it would have been a part of the apprenticeship for the majority of these trades "back in the day".
It should also be noted that a simple badge such as some of the ones pictured would have been a fairly easy proposition for a moderately skilled jeweller, die-sinker (or watchmaker) to produce.

I can't recall seeing any (many?) maker's marks on the back of these badges so it is not impossible that the makers didn't want to be identified......

I would sincerely doubt that these badges had any "paperwork" to go with them and little wonder that they cracked down on the mass issue of these badges.

I have, however, noted that one of the badges has clearly been struck on the die that produced the same version but with a crown (you'll see the "bump" in the white enamel). Maybe they were already getting a bit stricter with the use of the crown on regalia?

Mind you, if they had been really "hard nosed" from the outset, where would collecting be?
Old 01-08-19, 07:46 PM

Default OWS badges

Yes, I have posted some of this before but having a few minutes before I have to go and earn some money (to buy more of the little blighters!) I thought I'd add these to the mix.

Comments welcome and if there are any "initials" on the badges that anyone can identify that would be great.

For example: round badge, Union Jack, "L.C & Co Ltd"? I've tentatively got "Lancer Cycle" but that doesn't quite match.

Probably a jam company making the wooden pips for the fake raspberry jam that they were rumoured to have made in WW2!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owsvarious.jpg (42.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-08-19, 10:37 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Ref: D.Mason & Sons Badge

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/D._Mason_and_Sons
Old 02-08-19, 02:12 AM

Hi James

Great stuff! Just what I was after. I did get your message this morning and will reply when I get back.

Hope to initiate a mutually productive exchange of info, etc.!