British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-10, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Now that it what I call a super post that both challenges accepted opinion with a great piece of factual evidence. Well done.
Old 23-09-10, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conijoni View Post
Gentlemen. These cadet collar badges were worn by the London Diocesan Church Lads Brigade. They came in two sizes, larger for officers and smaller for lads. The LDCLB introduced them in 1915 in place of collar badges showing the arms of the London Diocese. The LDCLB had been recognised as a Cadet Force in 1911. The LDCLB was a separate brigade from the national Church Lads Brigade, although they did amalgamate in November 1919. Johnny Conn
thanks for the suberb answer to my question.
as they amalgamated in 1919 they must be scarce.
would the ones shown on buywyze be officers in gilt?
Bob
Old 25-09-10, 12:20 PM

Default Cadets badges

I would not class them as rare, but they are certainly hard to come by. They should have a gilt finish. The ones for sale are a good pair but I would not pay £85 for them. I think £50/£60 would make more sense. I am posting a picture of both sizes. Johnny Conn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005_0312stkir0008.JPG (62.0 KB, 34 views)
My avatar shows the St Martin's Banner, which was dedicated to all those from the Church Lads Brigade who were killed in the 1st World War, some 20,000 men. It is in the safe keeping of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster Abbey.
Old 25-09-10, 10:22 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
anyone know which cadets.
Bob
Bob,
I still think this is a copy.... even moreso since it is seems they should be gilt! Any chance of a photo of the rear?

Andy
Old 26-09-10, 10:10 AM

Default Cadets

I have not seen copies of this Cadets badge in my years of collecting, and have seen this badge in various finishes from high quality shiny brass, a slightly lesser quality shiny brass, to a gilt finish. There are also variations in the little motifs on either side of the word Cadets. I do not believe your badge is a copy. I have stated that the badge was worn by the London Diocesan Church Lads Brigade, which it was, and although I have not seen any evidence of this, it may be that it was worn by other Cadets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005_0313stkir0020.JPG (60.2 KB, 12 views)
My avatar shows the St Martin's Banner, which was dedicated to all those from the Church Lads Brigade who were killed in the 1st World War, some 20,000 men. It is in the safe keeping of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster Abbey.
Old 26-09-10, 10:13 AM

Default LDCLB Cadets

A picture of lads with an officer circa 1919. Also a picture of a pair of the smaller (lads) badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005_0313stkir0021.JPG (59.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ldclda.JPG (70.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 26-09-10, 10:23 AM

Default Church Lads Brigade

Just for interest - my avatar shows the CLB's War Memorial Banner in memory of the 20,000 ex CLB men who gave their lives in The Great War. I was very pleased to see that it was prominently displayed during the Battle of Britain Service last Sunday in Westminster Abbey.
Old 26-09-10, 03:00 PM

Default cadets

thanks for the conformation of its originality,i know its not a copy.i have had it 30 years.

Bob
Old 26-09-10, 03:12 PM
Former Member

Bob,
restrike cap badges have been around for 40 years or so (1970s).. so having it for 30 years means nothing! All I wanted to see was a picture of the back... As many will know the rear and fittings reveal a lot about a badge! Could I PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE see a photo of the back?

Many thanks

Andy
Old 26-09-10, 04:36 PM

Default cadets

i was ignoring your post because of your arrogance shown in declaring a badge you did not know of and probably haven't seen before a fake.
having made a living from selling badges for the last 37 years i can reliably state that nobody was restiking collar badges 30 years ago and very few are restruck today.
Bob
Old 26-09-10, 04:53 PM
Former Member

Bob,
well that's the first time I've been called arrogant on this site! You were the one who posted a photo and so in my opinion that makes it fair to ask questions or request more information! I try to help as many people as I can on here, sometimes with some tongue in cheek humour, but never intentionally "ARROGANT"? There are two sides to every story and the rear of a badge often tells more than the front! But you must know that "having made a living from selling badges for the last 37 years"..

If you had shown the back then perhaps I would have been able to comment further..

Since you are ignoring me, that must make you an ignorant type of person? Which is a shame as I only wanted to see the back?

Best regards

Andy
Old 26-09-10, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conijoni View Post
A picture of lads with an officer circa 1919. Also a picture of a pair of the smaller (lads) badges.
Great picture, thanks for posting. Could you confirm if the London Diocese CLB were completely independent from the KRRC CLB, just so I know whether or not to search out their badges?

Cheers
Old 27-09-10, 02:18 PM

Default LDCLB

That's a good question! The national CLB were affiliated to the KRRC from 1917 on. The LDCLB amalgamated with the national CLB in 1919. So you would think that the answer was Yes. However, I am not very sure about this, as the LDCLB retained a degree of independence even though amalgamated. It is my impression that the LDCLB - now referred to as the Church Lads Brigade, London Division - did not have a close link with the KRRC. If you refer to the 1922 Cadet List the national CLB Battalions are clearly identified with the KRRC. The LDCLB are not. Sorry I cannot be more definitive. Johnny Conn
Old 17-01-23, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Another nice picture of this one.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-01-17 19.31.33.png (104.5 KB, 20 views)