British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-14, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

I do remember seeing several Lambourne marked Cheshire Yeomanry badges - nice badges with brass feathers and a brass tagged scroll........
Old 29-03-14, 09:47 PM

Let's have a poll, broken badge or not for me it's broken, end of.
Wilf
Old 29-03-14, 09:59 PM
Former Member

Alan,
Please just stick to moderation, at least that is something you occasionally appear to be semi-proficient at?

I will admit I am delighted that not everyone agrees with my opinions, but many do and at least I have the back bone to post my opinions for all to view, rather than resorting to poisonous PM's to those who dare to ask questions!

Stick to moderating, this is a Forum and if I break any of the rules then by all means admonish me, otherwise stick to your normal routine of giving 70% responses to 100% enquiries! If anything is boring it is a little bit closer to home that you may possibly realise!
Old 29-03-14, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Andy

You are not in the Sgts' Mess any more so stop bullying those who don't agree with you. Enough. Just because I do not beleive you, does not make me wrong so stop the derogatory lines and casting aspersions about '70% answers.'

For the record I have never sent 'poisoness' PMs so I hope you do not imply that I do?
Old 29-03-14, 10:08 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Andy

You are not in the Sgts' Mess any more so stop bullying those who don't agree with you. Enough.

For the record I have never sent 'poissoness' PMs so I hope you do not imply that I do?
Alan,
I left the Sgt's Mess many years ago, unlike some who are clearly content with dwelling in the NAAFI! I think I will withdraw from this thread before the vultures descend!

I will just put my Gilding-metal unusual Denbighshire Hussars badge back in the cupboard, and continue to ponder why the tabs to the rear have been modified!

By the way remember the clocks go forwards tonight!
Old 29-03-14, 10:13 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Andy

You are not in the Sgts' Mess any more so stop bullying those who don't agree with you. Enough. Just because I do not beleive you, does not make me wrong so stop the derogatory lines and casting aspersions about '70% answers.'

For the record I have never sent 'poisoness' PMs so I hope you do not imply that I do?
Did I say you did? Sorry you would never resort to bullying you're a Super Moderator!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, hope you get lots of Mother's Day cards!

Smile and get a sense of humour!

Last edited by 2747andy; 29-03-14 at 10:26 PM.
Old 29-03-14, 10:36 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
This is as entertaining as a Soap Opera, perhaps not as good as Corrie but certainly better than Emmerdale.

P.B.
Peter,
Lol, it was intended to be informative rather than entertaining, but I think both your programmes are irrelevant as all the soap stars on this thread appear to be firmly in the South! Perhaps they're Eastenders fans!

Lets not take things too seriously, keep our views in the open and don't "bully" behind the scenes!
Old 30-03-14, 12:06 AM

Is that aimed at me then for daring to disagree with our resident SF expert?
Old 30-03-14, 06:13 AM

Somebody has to say it, it is the posts like many towards the end of this thread that are the reason why a lot of collectors are less than impressed with the Forum and more importantly ( in my opinion ) why so few members of the Forum are make contributions.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 30-03-14, 07:50 AM

As a fairly long time member of the forum I rarely enter into discussions when they reach this stage but I must admit to getting slightly peed off when someone seems to think they're the fount of all knowledge . Surely if you disagree with someone's opinion on a badge you are fully entitled to state your disagreement because as we all know there are regulations for insignia laid down by the War Office/ MOD (Army) and there is what happens in the regiments and corps. I have noticed that for some posters the default position is to cry fake simply because they have never seen "one like that " before. Incidentally I was a member of 3 sergeants' messes and met plenty of bullies or at least potential bullies but I would never allow myself to be bullied so they went away.
Old 30-03-14, 09:08 AM
Former Member

Gentlemen,
can we please dry our eyes and get back to badges? And if you are easily intimidated then can I remind you that you do have a choice, it is never my intention to force an opinion on anyone, a visit to "Spines 'R' Us" is called for in some cases, and if you think that's bulling then I rest my point!

Before I was tarred as the Sgts' Mess Bully, I was trying to make the point that the suggestion that the Denbighshire Yeo did not have a Gm (Brass) badge may not be entirely correct? KK do refer to one as being adopted c. 1917, whether this was an economy measure as they suggest, who knows? Perhaps the "Economy" was in not having it bronzed? I have shown an all Gm badge below, I believe it to be a Denbighshire Yeo badge, it has an extruded slider which possibly dates it c.1914-18, it appears to have never been coated in either bronze or black! The dark areas to the rear are where a patch of verdigris has been removed!

Returning to the Lambourne badge I posted yesterday and please give me some credit in being able to distinguish between a broken or simply damaged badge and one that has been altered! Whether it was altered at the point of manufacture or simply tidied up by a collector years later who knows? The remnants of the base scroll tabs appear to have been intentionally trimmed and shaped? Perhaps it is just damage or then it could also be the utilisation of converting a badge such as the Cheshire Yeo into one for another unit? Which is my train of thought in this case? Perhaps if others out there have similarly fashioned DHY badges then there could be something in it?

It was suggested that the base scrolls could have been brazed off, yes that's true, but that would required more effort than just snapping off and trimming?

This is just a thought so if you think otherwise that's absolutely fine, please don't feel intimidated and make up your own minds!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30 Mar 14 063.jpg (89.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 30 Mar 14 064.jpg (101.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 30 Mar 14 065.jpg (71.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 30 Mar 14 066.jpg (56.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 30 Mar 14 067.jpg (46.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 30-03-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 30-03-14, 12:35 PM
LYPAO Boff

Andy

Note: 24th (DHY) Battalion the Royal Welsh Fusiliers were formed from the Denbighshire Yeomanry in Egypt on the 1st March (St.Davids Day) 1917 and saw service in the Middle East and on the Western Front during World War One. Came under orders of 231st Brigade, 74th (Yeomanry) Division. Moved to France in early May 1918. 21 June 1918 : transferred to 94th Brigade, 31st Division.

So badged RWF post March 1917.

Private John Owen Roberts
24th Btn. (Denbighshire Hussars) RWF

* Lost at sea. John was last heard of on 27th April 1917 when he embarked on a ship in Southampton with the 24th Bn. RWF. His father , Owen Roberts of Chweffordd Farm , put an advert in the papers asking for anyone with information about John to come forward. The ship was torpedoed and sunk. A few were rescued but it seems John was not one of the survivors. 414 lost their lives. The ship was the 'Transylvania' and was sunk by U-63 off Genoa on 4th May 1917 on its way to Salonika. John was 35 years of age & his name is commemorated on the Savona Town Memorial , Italy. His name is also on the Henllan War Memorial in Wales.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 30-03-14, 01:21 PM
Former Member

Griff,
Very interesting and more reason why these are scarce badges!

Andy
Old 30-03-14, 01:29 PM
LYPAO Boff

Andy

The 1920 Priced Vocab of Clothing and Necessaries gives the same pattern no. for bronze cap badges of PWORWY and Denbigh Hussars [info from Keith Hook, July 2013 and his pattern cards]

This is the badge...... although its not clear if the DHY took up their old badge again post war and if they did it was the one below :-

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 30-03-14 at 03:30 PM.
Old 30-03-14, 01:56 PM

I was a little surprised to hear that you were ever in the sergeants mess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Alan,
I left the Sgt's Mess many years ago, unlike some who are clearly content with dwelling in the NAAFI! I think I will withdraw from this thread before the vultures descend!

I will just put my Gilding-metal unusual Denbighshire Hussars badge back in the cupboard, and continue to ponder why the tabs to the rear have been modified!

By the way remember the clocks go forwards tonight!

Tags
denbighshire, yeomanry