British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-20, 11:46 PM

Default British Badge ID help

Hello chaps, its been a long time since i interacted on here with work picking up etc etc my collecting slowed significantly. But, with New Zealand in full lockdown i now have a little time up my sleeve and am going through some of my collection.
I recently purchased a lot of badges here (only wanting two from the lot), consisting mainly of British badges of which I have ZERO knowledge and no intent to keep them.
I have spent a bit of time trying to look them all up and see what they are so i can list them but have realized I need more than a little time on each one to be sure they are real and what era they are etc. Im hoping some of you may have a little time up your sleeve that you can help me out and let me know what they are...
Mods, hopefully this is allowed ? if not please delete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1290.jpg (112.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1291.jpg (102.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1292.jpg (119.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1294.jpg (119.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 29-03-20, 12:27 AM

The Gordon Highlanders and Cameron Highlanders badges were worn Victorian times to the adoption of AA badges in the 1950s.

The Artists Rifles pattern was worn WW1 and after but the exact dates are still unclear. That design of Manchester Regt badge was worn until 1923. The 19th London and 23rd London badges date 1908 to 1938. The 19th converting to RE in ‘35 if memory serves.

The slidered RWK, Border, Middx, Duke of Cornwall LI, Ox & Bucks LI could date pre-WW1 to post WW2 as the designs were unchanged during that time. The Lincolnshire became Royal just after WW2 so the badge predates 1947.

I’m away from my books at the moment so if I’m wrong with dates I’m sure someone will correct me.

Also I’ve dropped you a PM about the Artists Rifles.
Old 29-03-20, 12:39 AM

Luke, is the Cameron badge a variation? I only have one and the saint is looking to his left. regards, Paul.
Old 29-03-20, 12:49 AM

That is a very strange looking Cameron badge.... I must say the entire lot is in such a filthy state as making a determination as to originality difficult, but most seem good.

CB
Old 29-03-20, 01:05 AM

thanks Guys ! yes therye all 'manky' to say the least.... Im very much a leave it as you find it kinda person so have done nothing to them since i received them other than a quick wipe with a dry cloth.
I appreciate the info Luke ! it gives me something to work with looking these up. Noted on the Camerons being odd..... Ive gone and done a 'google search' and come up with another that looks the same.....
https://wolfpackmilitaria.com/produc...iant=922354855
not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing (or if in fact it si the same haha).

T
Old 29-03-20, 09:40 PM

Paul, yes I believe it’s just a makers variation. St. Andy is tying to look the correct way, he’s just a bit of a mess! The wire loops on these ones I like and are seen on a few other Scottish badges.

I’d be in no doubt all the badges pictured are genuine.
Old 30-03-20, 12:05 AM

I noted the loops (lugs) on the Cameron and I like those type as well. They certainly are have not been faked to my knowledge.
The badge itself is one I am not familiar with, at least my ageing mind does not recognize it
Am rather fond of the Camerons and would like to acquire such an example if genuine.

CB