British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-11-13, 04:05 PM

I am always extremely sorry when any members leave, especially those who have been active contributors over a long period of time.

I have said before that the Forum is at its best when discussions concentrate on badges, militaria and military history especially when opinions are backed up with hard evidence.

Perhaps we ought to think about what new members and those people just visiting the site will think when we are making posts in the future.

I see that the current membership is over 6,500 ( compared with, for example the Military Heraldry Society with around 250 members ) and the more active members we have surely the better the Forum becomes.

Perhaps if discussions are limited to military matters in the future not only will more people join us but we might get a number of our former members back.

Can we move forward rather than have a post mortem about what has happened in the past ?

I live in hope.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 19-11-13 at 05:52 PM.
Old 19-11-13, 04:30 PM

Default Keep in Touch

Dave

I too like a number of the Forum members did not see the thread that you have commented on.

Please PM me with your current email as I value your friendship and would like to keep in touch like Longshanks (Simon).

Jack
Old 20-11-13, 09:01 AM

Default Sniping?

I sometimes make an eBay bid in the final seconds of an auction - sometimes I win the item, sometimes I don't. I'm not a dealer - just a humble collector, but if a dealer or collector, it matters not which, beats me to an item doing the same unto me as I sometimes do unto others, that's fine - that's the nature of auctions. There's nothing unfair or underhand about bidding in the final moments - even if someone who put in a bid 6 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds earlier feels he has 'dibs' by virtue of some sort of wacky notion of 'bidding seniority'.

There is also the seller to consider, and a happy seller is one who sees some good bids rolling in in the final seconds - as I like seeing on the rare occasion that I sell an item.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Lawrence
Old 20-11-13, 03:29 PM

I fail to see the difference between someone putting a bid on the moment something is listed and another placing one at the last second. If you use sniper you never know if the opening bidder has loaded a high bid or not, it's just down to whoever enters the highest whether at the beginning or the end.
Old 20-11-13, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
I fail to see the difference between someone putting a bid on the moment something is listed and another placing one at the last second. If you use sniper you never know if the opening bidder has loaded a high bid or not, it's just down to whoever enters the highest whether at the beginning or the end.
Agreed. If you lose out to another bidder then it really is Tango Sierra, there you are now thats life. The most you can hope for is that your very high bid outsmarts the opposition and what you get was worth the final price.

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeep bidding
Old 20-11-13, 08:01 PM

Always a bit of a bummer if you are the high bidder until just before it ends and it does piss one off, but hey that is the way it goes, throw your toys and then get over it.

Jerry
Old 20-11-13, 11:52 PM

Well since the topic has strayed, I may as well chime in as well. When I bid on eBay, I place a bid at whatever time I see the listing. I bid what I am comfortable paying... if I win that's great, if I don't, well I just move on.

I would not say, as a previous member said, Tango Sierra. I was beat fair and square on a must have item, by a bidder even more crazy for the item than I was. But yes depending on what it is, it can sting a bit.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 22-11-13, 02:10 PM

Default Charlie585 banned?

Charlie585 banned? When did this happen, and what member of Mystery Inc. are we to refer to him by?

Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 22-11-13, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Rather than banned which sounds very draconian, it has become necessary to remove his access rights due to him breaking forum rules over the deletion of posts.
Old 22-11-13, 02:43 PM

Default Charlie 585 banned!

It's news to me! I don't know of any reason for him being banned. I fully understood his outbursts at someone hijacking his sales thread.
I thought from his later post that both parties had settled any misunderstanding.
It will be a loss to the forum.
Eddie
Old 22-11-13, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Rather than banned which sounds very draconian, it has become necessary to remove his access rights due to him breaking forum rules over the deletion of posts.
I just mentioned it because under his avatar it says banned.
Also, could you clarify the rules on deleting posts, I've just read the forum rules and didn't quite understand, sorry, I can be a bit thick sometimes!
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 22-11-13, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Lee, Removing posts makes threads undecipherable and meaningless. Here is the applicable rule:

Complying material that you post will be permanent.
Old 22-11-13, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hello Lee, Removing posts makes threads undecipherable and meaningless. Here is the applicable rule:

Complying material that you post will be permanent.
I didn't even know you could remove posts. I'm starting to feel like the intellectual equivalent of Joey Essex here.
Old 22-11-13, 03:44 PM

Except for posts / threads about forum members get togethers / visits, they comply with the rules but are, very, far from permanent.

That rule is unclear. It doesn't say that we can not delete posts, it only says that they are permanent. This merely suggets that they, unlike sales ads, do not expire through forum operation.

Phil
Old 22-11-13, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Alan,

Even that does not clarify the situation. Is he banned, partially banned, or what?

Eddie