British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-06-09, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Default Scarcest militia period badge?

For the Canadian badges militia period (1920-1952), which badge is the hardest to find?
Old 24-06-09, 12:55 PM

"morning Bill, one could be the Canadian Irish Regiment M-162 (Congrats to Pylon1357), or the Assiniboia Regt. M-140 (Congrats to bgpipes), or Regiment de Bauce M-132. But then, what could be scarce to one might be easy to find for someone else.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 24-06-09 at 02:14 PM.
Old 24-06-09, 07:52 PM

Bill... when you say militia badges do you mean pre 1914 or do you mean 1920-1939? ... Jo's got some good picks as an enameled assiniboia would probably be the badge I'd most like to pickup. ( there was a cap and collar set that came up on ebay recently and it went for alot more than I could afford so I guess they do surface from time to time). Another one that is eluding me is the Weyburn regiment m141 or 141a. I live in Saskatchewan so I'm hopeful I can snag one somewhere. Jo's other pick of the Beauce makes me feel good as I just got a cap, 2 left facing collars and the shoulder titles off of ebay.
Old 24-06-09, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jim, Militia period, 1920-1936, then after the reorganization of 1936, the badges were basically the WW2 issue.
Your picks of the militia badges from Sask is a good consideration. There are others from the 20-36 period I have seldom seen in real life. Badges like 9th Grey's Horse, Central Alberta Horse, Francs Tireurs du Saguenay, Carabiniers de Sherbrooke, 55 Irish Canadian Rangers, and the Edmonton Fusiliers (9th CEF pattern) are some I would submit as very scarce.
Old 24-06-09, 09:43 PM

Hi Gents, I remember in the early 80s, when I was collecting the WW2 badges, 1st CanPara and 8th Recce could be found for a decent price, all the others war-time badges were easy to find for between $5 to $10, the most expensive was Calgary Tank -+ $50. The "Holy Grails" were an original Garrison Batt. and Prince Rupert often talked about but seldom seen.
If you were a "serious" collector you went for the 1920-1936 badges. Like the ones mentioned by Bill, I remember the 4e Chasseurs Canadiens and the 13th Scottish Light Dragoons were very much sought after, in the Montreal shows.
BTW, Congratulations Jim for the great finds and to give you a "taste" of the Weyburn Regiment's badge, a nice photo of Major Claude Orme,DSO, company commander with the SSR at Dieppe when he was with the Weyburn's pre-war time.
Jo

http://cap.estevan.sk.ca/SSR/Photos/orme/ClaudeOrme.JPG

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Last edited by Voltigeur; 24-06-09 at 09:56 PM.
Old 24-06-09, 09:55 PM

I just wanted to add that, bgpipes must be very old or incredibly lucky or, very rich to have collected some of the most "magnifiques" badges shown in the Canadian Badges Index.
Jo

Old 24-06-09, 11:30 PM

Default RE: "bgpipes"

Yes, I have been incredibly lucky in my collection efforts. and I have made friends with a lot of very knowledgable badge collectors and dealers,who have shared their expertise with me. Next month I will be 75 years old,my health is such that I cannot travel in Canada like I once did,and I truly miss that part of the hobby. "bgpipes"
Old 25-06-09, 12:20 AM

Thanks a million bgpipes, for sharing your collection (and knowledge) with us.
Regards.
Jo

Old 13-07-09, 01:48 PM

Hi Jim A,

I have seen a few Beauce cap badges...one with a Slider and two with Lugs...I am curious to know which configuration yours is and could you post a picture of the items you purchased.

Best,
Mike
Old 13-07-09, 02:22 PM

Mike cap badge is slidered picked these up all in one lot
Old 13-07-09, 02:23 PM

Old 13-07-09, 02:47 PM

Hi Jim A,

What a great catch.

So that makes 2 with Sliders and 2 with Lugs...could the Sliders be of an earlier production and the Lugs a later version?

Theory: The Slider version being produced when The Beauce took it's name in 1921. The Lugged version being when they changed their name to Regiment de Dorchester et Beauce in 1932.

Reason: I have never seen or read about a Cap Badge to the Regiment de Dorchester et Beauce and think that perhaps when the Beauce was redesignated in 1932 any new Cap Badges issued would have been with the more common tradition (Canadian) manufacturing process using Lugs.

It was of course 4 short years later that they became Le Regiment de la Chaudiere in 1936

Thoughts?

Mike
Old 13-07-09, 02:56 PM

Mike... that's a believable theory... I've noticed that several of the earlier militia badges are slidered (chaussers, early levis) rather than lugged.Change of manufacturer for the later runs? Good question for the forum.
Old 13-07-09, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default Sliders and Lugs

Many inter-war badges were made with sliders, and as Mike indicates, they appear to be early issues, in the 1920's. The HLI badge I posted on the weekend is a slider fastener, (badge authorized 1922), and there are many other badges 1920-1950 era that have sliders. They appear to be those issued in the 1920's based on the evolution of the regiment.

To add to Mike's analysis, the Algonquin Rifles, 1928 authorization, was a slidered badge, but when the regiment was redesignated the Algonquin Regiment and the badges were authorized circa 1931, they were made with lugs. Similarly, the Grey Regiment with royal garter has a slider, while the Grey Regiment with the plain annulus is a lugged badge. There has been a suggestion that the slidered badges were made in the UK, and then the contracts for subsequent orders were Canadian. This may explain the difference fasteners. It would be nice to confirm this theory.
Old 13-07-09, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Question, why do some regiment's one side of the collars appear much more on the market than the other side? Eg the Beauce appear facing left as viewed, but it is difficult to find a right. And the same for the RHLI collars, rights being very common, but lefts being very hard to find?
When the badges were produced, were they put in boxes of lefts and rights? Or were they paired? Seems that they were boxed as lefts and rights separately, and this may explain the availability.