British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-08, 06:52 AM

Default Solder used on Anodised Aluminium Cap Badges

Hi Guys,

Two questions that I need answering.

1) Does the solder used to affix sliders and lugs have a more scientific name?

2) What is it made of?

If anyone can help please post the answers here.

Many Thanks

Chris
Old 08-09-08, 09:33 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default solder etc

Hello Chris,
When talking about solder, we have to be more specific, on brass and steel etc, you can use soft solder ( lead solder ), low melting point, this is similar to the type used in electrical joints, it leaves a grey colour and can be very corrosive.
There is silver solder, which is used in the jewellery trade ( and by myself ), this has a higher melting point, varying around 600 degrees and then there is braze, this has a higher melting point than silver and was widely used when badges were originally manufactured.
Of course, when badges were first produced, I'm sure they were all discoloured by the heat and would have been pickled to some extent, after being handed to the original servicemen, the badges would then begin to age, hence the ' patina ' that all collectors like today !!!!
I would have to guess at how the sliders and lugs are fitted to staybrite badges and I would assume the manufacturers use an epoxy designed especially for aluminium.
That's all I can tell you, I was a welder/fabricator for over 25 years so I do have a little experience with the different jointing mediums and have, in the past, welded just about every type of metal known to man.
If there is something I have missed, this thread will, I'm sure, highlight it.
Regards.
Dave.
Old 08-09-08, 08:19 PM

Dont know if it was a solder as such.
Ive tried to repair sliders and lugs using various methods,soldering,tig welding,various glues and epoxy resins etc,couldnt get anything to get a strong bond.
Who was it that said the bonding was discovered in the nuclear industry.
Old 09-09-08, 08:25 PM

Default nuclear industry bonding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Dont know if it was a solder as such.
Ive tried to repair sliders and lugs using various methods,soldering,tig welding,various glues and epoxy resins etc,couldnt get anything to get a strong bond.
Who was it that said the bonding was discovered in the nuclear industry.

Mike,
Yep that was me. Had a long conversation with Peter Taylor a couple of years ago re this subject. It basically surrounded how to repair sliders etc . . . . because try as you may . . . . nothing works! He did some digging and I believe he found that it was a substance developed in the nuclear industry.

It certainly doesnt look like anything used at a temperature like regular welding compounds etc. It is clearly very thin because on some badges it can be seen where this (grey metallic looking) substance has 'run'. Also on some later examples of anodised alluminium badges, the substance used is coloured either gold or silver to match the badge.

Again all anecdotal I'm afraid, but best I can do from memory.

Regards to all

Bess
Old 10-09-08, 04:40 AM

Thanks Guys,

Something new to think about - again!!!

I have a feeling that the substance is all one colour being grey but if the slider is attached to the badge body before the anodising process starts then the 'solder' takes the last colour attached to it.

Regards

Chris
Old 10-09-08, 11:07 PM

Hi Guys,

Would a product such as Alusol do this job?

Regards

Chris
Old 11-09-08, 08:35 AM
BLIZZARD

Wink Jeweler

Hi
Thanfully I have a friendly jewler who will do the odd repair but thankfully I have only had to call on his skills once
BLIZZARD

Tags
anodised