British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-15, 09:49 AM
LYPAO Boff

here is another.....

If you want a pair then Robbie has got one here ---> http://www.deadspartan.co.uk/viewpho...h=58547&phqu=2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6POWC.jpg (58.0 KB, 11 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 20-01-15, 03:14 PM

Removed by author

Last edited by peter monahan; 20-01-15 at 10:15 PM.
Old 20-01-15, 10:15 PM

I have just received my copy of Ask Nath's "Sowars and Sepoys in the Great War, 1914-1918" and in it he identifies this badeg as being an "officer's shoulder title" from the Great War period. So, although the heraldry is not correct for the post 1901 title "King Edward's Own", presumably the regiment kept the POW feathers as a reminder of their previous affiliation.

Peter
Old 21-01-15, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
I have just received my copy of Ask Nath's "Sowars and Sepoys in the Great War, 1914-1918" and in it he identifies this badeg as being an "officer's shoulder title" from the Great War period. So, although the heraldry is not correct for the post 1901 title "King Edward's Own", presumably the regiment kept the POW feathers as a reminder of their previous affiliation.

Peter
Interesting observation Peter. Is there also a cap badge (picture/description) of that period? And does it also show the POW feathers, or were they only kept on the shoulder titles?

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 21-01-15, 02:27 PM

Henk

There are 3 officer's headdress badges shown:

1) "ERI" with a crown above and a "VI" below, over crossed lances with a scroll below reading "CAVALRY" in brass;

2) "ERI" with a crown above and a "VI" below, with a scroll below reading "K.E.O. CAVALRY" in brass;

3) as 2 but with the ERI, scroll and 'bag' on the crown filled with red enamel.

The buttons are a crown above the POW plumes, flanked by "V" and "I", with "KEOC" below.

I hope that's clear. The illustrations in the book are numbered and referenced in thew text, but with minimal detail - no explanation, for example, of why the three variations, tough one might infer that the enameled version is for full dress.

Peter
Old 21-01-15, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
Henk

There are 3 officer's headdress badges shown:

1) "ERI" with a crown above and a "VI" below, over crossed lances with a scroll below reading "CAVALRY" in brass;

2) "ERI" with a crown above and a "VI" below, with a scroll below reading "K.E.O. CAVALRY" in brass;

3) as 2 but with the ERI, scroll and 'bag' on the crown filled with red enamel.

The buttons are a crown above the POW plumes, flanked by "V" and "I", with "KEOC" below.

I hope that's clear. The illustrations in the book are numbered and referenced in thew text, but with minimal detail - no explanation, for example, of why the three variations, tough one might infer that the enameled version is for full dress.

Peter
Thanks a lot. Realy appreciated.

No 1) is as I have a crude picture in the table (link in post #13 above).

And I am with you that 3) is a more elaborate version of 2) for one of the many types of dress (officers had European and Indian).

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 23-01-15, 07:27 PM

I suspect you're right, Henk. keeping in mind that such things were limited more by the collective pocketbooks of the officers than by any regulations, any number of variations are possible and many quite likely.

Peter

Tags
badge, identify, unknown badge