British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-23, 08:44 AM

As well as differences in when and where worn over the years, there are many variations in design and manufacture of the badge.
See https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hp?albumid=878

Tim
Old 29-12-23, 09:16 AM

Thanks Tim

It matches your FS 12, would you have approx date this type was issued?

Also has this badge always been known as the All Arms Commando Course badge since WWII?

cheers

Phill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-29 221351.jpg (40.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 29-12-23, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post
Like you I have never seen a RN Commando wearing the red on black dagger and wonder if it’s another case of what’s on paper not being the same as reality? The green beret and ‘Royal Navy Commando’ shoulder titles seem to be all that was/is worn by sailors on camouflage kit.

Also the RM orders regarding the black dagger on OG square seem to ban its use by non-commando trained personnel but non Commando trained Army ranks posted into 29 Cdo Regt RA or 24 Cdo Regt RE seem to wear it as their formation badge regardless of their lack of Commando qualification - the green beret and ‘Army Commando’ shoulder titles being the signs of a Commando trained rank.
Interesting! To add more, A friend of mine who is a "service helper" in the Royal Marine Cadet detachment I'm an adult volunteer with, has just started wearing the black on green square patch on her MTP dress, She's an AB in the RNR, working full time at Stonehouse barracks, I don't know what she does other than something to do with intelligence (she won't talk about it) and works with both 30 CDO IXG and the Brigade Reconnaissance Troop. The only thing she would tell me, is the badge is worn by everyone posted to 3 CDO BDE on all forms of working dress (MTP, PTS and Future Cdo dress/Crye) whether commando trained or not (Cdo trained personnel wear a service specific shoulder title, which is now transitioning to a rectangle badge for all services).

Regards

Tony