British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-04-13, 02:18 PM

Default RM Armoured Support Group

Hey Chaps,

Trying to find out about the insignia worn on BD by members of the RM Armoured Support Group who landed in Normandy with 95mm armed Centayr tanks. I understand they wore the blue beret with red tombstone behind the badge but cannot find out what badges/titles they wore on their battledress.

Any help is, as always much appreciated!

Thanks,
Simon
Old 22-04-13, 07:31 PM

Default RMASG

Although I have researched this unique unit extensively when writing a piece on the non-Commando RM on D Day for Militaria magazine, I was unable to find an image showing RMASG personnel in battledress close enough to determine what insignia they were wearing. There are images showing RM personnel wearing some sort of rainproof jacket and in shirtsleeve order. No titles or signs to be seen on these orders of dress. Nor have I found any images of members of the RAC who were drafted into the RMASG when the order went out that the engines were to be reinstalled into their Centaurs. I would surmise that on BD RM ranks wore simply the ROYAL MARINES title, whilst the RAC ranks were dressed as per usual for their arm.
There was of course an RMASG sign, but I think it likely that this was introduced as late as mid 1945. The Sherman and Centaurs of RMASG bore a square flash in RM colours of green, blue, yellow and red with the appropriate numeral superimposed in white - for 1 RMASG and 2 RMASG.
I hope your request generates a posting of a surviving RMASG BD blouse or an image of one being worn.
Mike
Old 22-04-13, 10:12 PM

Interesting, I have to say asking here is also due to a lack of luck in finding any reference to insignia in any written media or, as you say, clear enough photos.

When you say RAC likely wore the usual insignia for their arm, just red on yellow titles and RAC cap badge?

As you say, I hope someone comes up with something!
Old 23-04-13, 05:45 AM

Default RMASG

I would imagine that RAC attached to RMASG will have worn simply the RAC beret badge, the Royal Armoured Corps title and AoS strip. Of course, they will not want to have been badged as recruits (ie no formation sign) so individuals may have kept the last one they were wearing or taken some personal initiative and put up, for example, the Combined Operations sign.
When I mentioned the RMASG sign I should have said that this is attributed to the successors to RMASG, 34 Amphibian Support Regiment, RM.
Old 30-04-13, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS-Troutbridge View Post
Hey Chaps,

Trying to find out about the insignia worn on BD by members of the RM Armoured Support Group who landed in Normandy with 95mm armed Centayr tanks. I understand they wore the blue beret with red tombstone behind the badge but cannot find out what badges/titles they wore on their battledress.

Any help is, as always much appreciated!

Thanks,
Simon
Hello,

I'm new to this forum (which I came across while researching into my father's wartime history).

I may be able to shed a little light on the subject since my father served in 2 RMASG and was a signaller/loader on a Centaur, landing on Juno Beach on D-Day.

(actually I thought I'd already replied to this question but I must've pressed delete instead of post! Second time lucky I hope.

I've just asked my father about insignia and BD, kit etc and he tells me that generally Marines aboard Centaurs wore the blue beret with red tombstone though some who had completed their Commando training (like my father) wore the Green Beret.

Insignia: Royal Marines shoulder flash (with Commando underneath, as appropriate) below which was the Combined Ops badge. My father also wore a blue|white rectangular badge on his forearm denoting signaller and a Good Conduct flash.

His BD was of Canadian issue (being essentially similar to the Brit-issued BD but more comfortable because the material was differently treated). And a .38 revolver (Webley I think).

I hope this helps.

For my own part, I would also be grateful if any forum member knows of the serial numbers/names of the RMASG Centaur and Sherman tanks (particularly those on Juno beach) or where I might find source material as info is v hard to come by.

rgds,

Frank.

P.S. If that's the Mike Jackson I think it is, "hello" Hope you're well!
Old 15-05-13, 03:56 PM

Sorry for the late reply, just to say thankyou very much Frank, excellent to know!