British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-13, 01:50 PM

Default RNMBR Capbadge

I seem to recall someone looking for one of these RNMBR badges in the past.

Here is an example offered on ebay now but I don't know if it is good or not....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200918534773?...84.m1423.l2649

RCN Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RNMBR badge obv.jpg (97.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg RNMBR badge rev.jpg (117.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 25-04-13, 05:14 PM

Hi RCN

See previous post at link.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ighlight=rnmbr

John
Old 30-04-13, 03:22 PM

Default RNMBR Capbadge

Hi all

I must admit that I have serious doubts about the authenticity of ANY of these metal Royal Naval Motor Boat Reserve (RNMBR) badges as I have never found any documentation relating to them or found any pictures showing them being worn. The fact that these are sometimes described as officers collar badges also worries me.

When the RNMBR was formed in 1914 its officers were part of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) and, therefore, wore RNVR uniforms.

However, there were three special ratings who wore a uniform with jackets and special cap and collar badges. The cap badge bore the letters RNMBR. Chief Motor Boatmen had gilt buttons, a gold cap badge (SEE FIGURE 1 BELOW) and red collar badges. Motor Boatmen had horn buttons, a red embroidered cap badge in the same design as the Chief Motor Boatmen, and red collar badges. Collar badges had an anchor with the letters CMB or MB.

In 1916 there was some alteration in the rating structure. Chief Motor Mechanics wore the uniform of Engine Room Artificers with a collar badge consisting of a four-bladed propeller with the letters CMM. Motor Mechanics ranked as Leading Stokers and had the same propeller with the letters MM; Motor Boatmen ranked as Able Seamen and wore an anchor badge with the letters MM.

Figure 1: RNMBR ratings cap badge
Figure 2: Motor Mechanic in the uniform introduced in 1916
Figure 3: Motor Mechanics collar badge

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i). RNMBR cap badge.jpg (12.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg ii). RNMBR Motor Mechanic.jpg (22.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg iii). Motor Mechanic collar badge, c.1916.jpg (9.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 30-04-13, 05:56 PM

Hi Guzzman

I have never seen the collar badge with the anchor and MM, except in the museum in Plymouth Dockyard, prior to that in a stock book at Royal William Yard.

If you look at my link to the previous discussion on RNMBR, you will see that there is a collar badge with MBR on it, this is not listed, but I have photographs of it being worn, hence I think that the anchor badge never went in to circulation, but the MBR badge did.

Although I doubt if the metal RNMBR badge, with slider, existed, I have one, with loops, which looks genuine, (see previous thread) however, like you I have never seen a photograph of it being worn, maybe an officer's collar badge similar to the use in the RND. Again no photo, no proof.

John

Last edited by royston; 01-05-13 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-05-13, 10:36 AM

Default RNMBR Capbadge

Hi John

As you say the metal badge with sliders probably never existed - despite the multiplicity of colours the badge appears in. I saw your badge, and if any of these metal badges are genuine, then I feel it is probably going to be that one!

However, I still don't see the need for one as the officers were all members of the RNVR and wore RNVR uniform why would they need collar badges? The only possibility I can imagine is that prior to the issue of uniforms such a badge (with metal loops) might be worn on the collar of whatever seagoing apparel they wore - simply to identify them as members of the RNMBR. If that was the case then they would soon have disappeared as uniforms were issued. Which would make your badge a very rare survival.

The RNMBR is certainly a topic for further investigation!

Pete