British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-03-12, 06:31 AM
button_guru

Default Unknown formation sign

Years ago, I was informed of a post WWII patch worn by a British Army regiment, possibly just a battalion, that bore the Maltese Cross due to its service on the island during the war. I'm not sure whether it was the Royal Hampshires or some other. I think that it was short lived. Any details on who wore it and what it looked like are appreciated.
Rgds,
button_guru
---------------------------------
Buttons aren't just a hobby..............
Old 31-03-12, 06:43 AM

If post-World War 2 a likely candidate is the regimental flash worn by 79 HAA Regt RA which under various titles served on Malta from 1936 to March 1944. The flash, which I believe was worn from 1944 until well into the 1950s, was a Maltese Cross in old gold, outlined in red and set on a black shield. If 54 Bty doesn't beat me to it I'll post an image of an example soon.
The reference to The Hampshire Regiment probably relates to the fact that 1 Hampshires served in 231 Inf Bde from Feb 41 to Nov 43 when as an independent brigade it wore the formation sign of a white Maltese Cross on a red shield.
Old 31-03-12, 07:57 AM

This one.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:32 PM.
Old 31-03-12, 10:01 AM

Default 231 Inf Bde

Here is an example of the 231 Independant Infantry Brigade formation badge:

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 231st Independent Infantry Brigade.jpg (3.3 KB, 185 views)
Old 31-03-12, 10:08 AM

Or it could possibly have been the sign of Malta Command Signal Regiment:
Malta Comd Signal Regt.01.jpg
Old 31-03-12, 01:34 PM
button_guru

Thanks all.
I sincerely appreciate seeing the flashes.
Mark's flash is a little unusual as it's nothing like the one I saw before, although it was a photocopy from a book. The Malta Command Signals flash is equally new to me. Attached are what the other RA Malta flashes looked like taken from G. Rosignoli's book and the worsted and printed versions of the Malta Command. Missing is the 231st in a shield. But I cannot find any connection of the 79th HAA and Malta anywhere as this is always being referred to as the Hertfordshire Yeomanry.
If you come across any written text on the matter, I'll be grateful for any links.
Rgds,
button_guru
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RA Malta flashes.jpg (16.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Malta WW2 Formation Sign.jpg (24.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Malta WW2.jpg (97.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 31-03-12, 02:37 PM

79th HEAVY ANTI AIRCRAFT REGIMENT RA

A Maltese Cross in yellow edged in red on a black shield shaped background.

Formed in 1947 from the 7th Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment RA, which served on Malta during World War II, disbanded in 1954. (Note not TA).

Also;

262nd (M) HEAVY ANTI AIRCRAFT REGIMENT RA (North Midland) (TA)

A Maltese Cross in white on a shield divided vertically red and blue, worn from 1947 to 1955. Originally worn by 222nd Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery RA (TA) on Malta during World War II. Became P (North Midland) Battery of 438th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment RA (TA) from 1955-1961. (NEHL collection).

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:32 PM.
Old 31-03-12, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
79th HEAVY ANTI AIRCRAFT REGIMENT RA

A Maltese Cross in yellow edged in red on a black shield shaped background.

Formed in 1947 from the 7th Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment RA, which served on Malta during World War II, disbanded in 1954. (Note not TA).

Also;

262nd (M) HEAVY ANTI AIRCRAFT REGIMENT RA (North Midland) (TA)

A Maltese Cross in white on a shield divided vertically red and blue, worn from 1947 to 1955. Originally worn by 222nd Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery RA (TA) on Malta during World War II. Became P (North Midland) Battery of 438th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment RA (TA) from 1955-1961. (NEHL collection).

Marc
Ref 7 HAA Brigade (later Regiment) Regt RA: Formed Malta 5 Oct 36 (10 HAA Bty, 13 HAA Bty, 27 HAA Bty). Redesignated 79 HAA Regt RA 1 Apr 47.

As 7 HAA Regt served in Malta with 2 Regt RMA and 11(RMA) HAA Regt, 4 HAA Regt RA and 10 HAA Regt RA (as at 14 Apr 43).
Old 31-03-12, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Ref 7 HAA Brigade (later Regiment) Regt RA: Formed Malta 5 Oct 36 (10 HAA Bty, 13 HAA Bty, 27 HAA Bty). Redesignated 79 HAA Regt RA 1 Apr 47.

As 7 HAA Regt served in Malta with 2 Regt RMA and 11(RMA) HAA Regt, 4 HAA Regt RA and 10 HAA Regt RA (as at 14 Apr 43).
As a note to the above;

All the RA Regiments that survived until April 1947, were renumbered and in some cases rerolled. So if you do not have the relevant document it is hard to follow a units history.

At the last Regimental reunion I attended there were at least 10 visitors whose relatives served in WWII within the same Numbered Regiment, unfortunately it was not ours, but, they enjoyed themselves anyway.

Marc

PS. I am still missing the badges for HQ RA Malta Command and 4SL Regt RA/RMA.

Last edited by 54Bty; 31-03-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-04-12, 08:02 PM
button_guru

Thanks again lads. You have supplied me with more than enough info than I had expected.
I think that the flash that I saw was the red and blue with cross at centre. Someone had supplied me with the wrong details and that's why I had mentioned the Hampshires at first.
Rgds,
button_guru