British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-11, 07:42 PM

Default 23rd London Regiment

I'm sure I've seen it somewhere in the A/A section but can't find it. Which is the correct Gaunt stamp for this badge, London, B'Ham or either?

Thanks
Old 16-06-11, 09:12 PM

Hi Keith mine has J.R.GAUNT B,HAM REGARDS DAVID
Old 16-06-11, 09:43 PM
Peter J

Gents,

Mine is also marked B'ham...

23rd anodised reverse.jpg

...I was under the impression that both versions for A/As are okay.

Peter
Old 17-06-11, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
I'm sure I've seen it somewhere in the A/A section but can't find it. Which is the correct Gaunt stamp for this badge, London, B'Ham or either?

Thanks
Hi Keith,

If you are looking for a 'pure' 23rd London Regt. cap badge in A/A then of the Gaunt made badges only the LONDON badge should be considered. This is because (as far as I can discover) the 23rd London Regt completed service in 1961 and as far as I can see the B'HAM mark started in 1966.

However, I am now of the opinion that the later version (post 1966) B'HAM badges (not just the 23rd London Regt but of many other units) are OK but that they were by different units usually the TA battalion of a specific regiment. In the case of the 23rd London though I have yet to find out which unit this was though.

Regards

Chris
Old 17-06-11, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Keith,

If you are looking for a 'pure' 23rd London Regt. cap badge in A/A then of the Gaunt made badges only the LONDON badge should be considered. This is because (as far as I can discover) the 23rd London Regt completed service in 1961 and as far as I can see the B'HAM mark started in 1966.

However, I am now of the opinion that the later version (post 1966) B'HAM badges (not just the 23rd London Regt but of many other units) are OK but that they were by different units usually the TA battalion of a specific regiment. In the case of the 23rd London though I have yet to find out which unit this was though.

Regards

Chris
Thanks Chris,

That's what I thought I'd read but coudn't find it. I've had a B'Ham one for years but picked up a London one the other day for very little so I'm happy.

Cheers

Keith