British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-16, 03:14 PM

Default Current RAF Brevets/Half Brevets

Hi Chaps

I wonder if anyone can clarify exactly which RAF Brevets and Half Brevets are currently authorised? I should probably say currently on issue as I know the RAF tends to have a "phase out" policy; in other words personnel originally qualifying for a now obsolete brevet can choose to continue wearing it, rather than the replacement. I've checked several web sites but they give conflicting information.

As far as I know, the following are definitely current:

Full Brevet

Pilot
Pilot - Unmanned Aerial Vehicle

Half Brevet

Parachute Training Instructor (1945) (Parachute in wreath) (= honorary aircrew)

Weapons System Officers (2003) (QC/RAF in wreath) (this replaced several half brevets in use up to 2003)

Imagery Analyst (c.2010) (IA in wreath)

Two I'm not sure about are:
Air Technician (AT in wreath) and
Fighter Controller (FC in wreath)
Both introduced in 1983 but were they replaced by the WSO brevet in 2003 or are they still authorised?

Any information will be much appreciated.

David

PS... another question, does anyone know when the "M" half brevet was discontinued? c.1970's/1980's?
Old 10-01-16, 03:51 PM

David, the RAF web lists current and obsolete wings and brevets. Also see my attachment. The drone pilot wings are known as RPAS - Remote Pilot Assisted Systems and have a blue wreath instead of the rusty brown. They're like hen's teeth to find. I had a friend who regularly visited RAF Waddington where they're based and I asked him if he could get me a pair. Unfortunately, he couldn't. That being said, I found a firm who specializes in making wings etc for flight overalls etc (approved by the MoD) and had some specially made. They're not padded, but until I find a pair with the official NATO stock number they will fill in to complete my set.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (40.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (30.8 KB, 14 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RoyalAirForce_insignia.pdf (691.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-01-16, 08:21 PM

Hi David

Many thanks for the info & link, much appreciated.

I haven't seen an actual, pair of the "RPAS" wings either, not surprising really as I think only a handful of officers are entitled to wear them, so far anyway.

The link answers my question re the "FC" & "AT" brevets, they can't have been replaced by the WSO brevet as all three are shown together. So, I assume they are still current.

What I don't understand though is the "N" (Navigator) brevet is shown and I thought that was now obsolete. Also the "IA" brevet is missing and I thought that one was current; for no other reason than it was only introduced a few years ago.

David
Old 10-01-16, 08:58 PM

I think with the Navigator's brevet it's still there because there may be some aircrew who were originally issued with it and still entitled to wear it. The RAF web link shows the AT and the IA as current:

http://www.rafweb.org/Ranks-Uniform/Badges3.htm

David
Old 10-01-16, 09:25 PM

Hi David

That's great, thanks! I'm completely in the picture now

All I have to do now is find the few I still need.

Thanks again.

David
Old 11-01-16, 01:57 PM

Hi davidwyke

Copy and paste this link to your browser - http://www.raf.mod.uk/downloads/ap1358.cfm

If will take you directly to the RAF website and their current dress manual, select chapter 7.

If shows the Wings, WSO, IA, FC, AT and PJI brevets as current.

Cheers Gareth
Old 11-01-16, 03:25 PM

Hi Gareth

Excellent! Many thanks.

David
Old 11-01-16, 04:19 PM
Banned

BBMF navigators are current aircrew and still wear the N wing.
Old 11-01-16, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
BBMF navigators are current aircrew and still wear the N wing.
Hi SAS1

Thanks for that! Do you know why?

Is it because the Navigators who would have flown in the aircraft when they were in service operationally would have worn the "N" wing?

Or maybe the Navigators qualified pre 2003 and, as I understand it, would still be allowed to wear the "N" wing if they wished to do so.

Or neither of the above??

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 11-01-16 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-01-16, 12:40 AM
Banned

It might have something to do with the aircraft they regularly fly (all are full time aircrew, working for the BBMF in their 'spare' time). But I think it's primarily as they trained and flew as 'old fashioned' navs, map, compass and eyeball, rather than being in the back seat of, say, a Tornado where they do much more.

Likewise the Lancaster flight engineers all still wear the 'E' wing while the three Loadmasters on the C-47 continue to wear the 'LM' wing. All have regular jobs and so will wear these on their day to day service.

I'd say the N, LM and E wings are still worn by those so qualified but no longer issued.

Last edited by SAS1; 12-01-16 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 12:49 AM
Banned

Looking at the profile for one of the BBMF C-47 Loadmasters, it says he flew ops on the Merlin helicopter and later became a helicopter tactics instructor and air gunnery instructor (so presumably qualified as a door gunner?). His current day job is with the operational training centre flying the Merlin.

One of the Lanc engineers flew the C-130 before becoming the station survival officer at RAF Lyneham.

One of the Lanc navigators previously flew the VC10, then helicopters and is now multi-engine navigator examiner with the CFS at Cranwell.
Old 18-06-16, 10:40 PM

The answer is in the note below the current RAF flying qualification badges:

Note. With effect 1 Apr 03 the range of 5 aircrew brevets for rear crew personnel were replaced by the single rear crew brevet (see below). Those aircrew who were already qualified to wear old style individual brevets can opt to wear the new brevet or retain the old style but there will be no further provisioning of the current brevet.

Cheers
Old 07-07-16, 10:54 AM

When you refer to "(see below)" what do you actually refer to, there does not seem to be anything below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings View Post
The answer is in the note below the current RAF flying qualification badges:

Note. With effect 1 Apr 03 the range of 5 aircrew brevets for rear crew personnel were replaced by the single rear crew brevet (see below). Those aircrew who were already qualified to wear old style individual brevets can opt to wear the new brevet or retain the old style but there will be no further provisioning of the current brevet.

Cheers
Old 08-07-16, 06:28 AM

Frank, wings has given a quote lifted directly from AP1358, Chapter 7.
(see below) - refers to the list of 5 brevets directly below the note in the AP.
i.e. Rear Aircrew Brevet, Fighter Controller (FC), Airborne Technician (AT), Airborne Image Analyst, Parachute Jump Instructor.
The list also includes - Qualified Gliding Instructor & Preliminary-Flying - Both of which I consider to be wings as opposed to brevets.
Old 05-10-19, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cga00 View Post
Frank, wings has given a quote lifted directly from AP1358, Chapter 7.
(see below) - refers to the list of 5 brevets directly below the note in the AP.
i.e. Rear Aircrew Brevet, Fighter Controller (FC), Airborne Technician (AT), Airborne Image Analyst, Parachute Jump Instructor.
The list also includes - Qualified Gliding Instructor & Preliminary-Flying - Both of which I consider to be wings as opposed to brevets.
Actually, none of them are “Brevets” because a brevet is actually a French Certificate or Diploma. Here is a picture of a French ‘Brevet de Base’ which is a basic Private Pilot’s Licence:

Many have been using the word “Brevet” incorrectly for years (probably since about 1916/17) when it has been a Flying Badge in King’s Regulations and Queen’ Regulations for years. The original FAI Aviator’s Certificate used the words “brevetted” to mean certificated - here is an American version:

Here is a UK version - look at the French writing on the right hand side clearly stating ‘brevete’ where the English on the left hand side translates to ‘certificate’.

So let’s stop using the word “Brevet” when we mean “Flying Badge” - if you must use it then use it in the context of a licence, certificate or diploma!