British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-23, 07:28 AM

I take it that the soldier's serial number isn't written or printed in the beret? If it is it may help with dating the beret.
Old 28-11-23, 09:59 AM

Thanks again to all for your input and help.
I have taken some photos and hopefully they will appear!

Other than his name there is no other 'writings/printing' in or on the beret.

Many thanks as always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8530.jpg (64.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8531.jpg (102.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8533.jpg (111.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8532.jpg (111.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 28-11-23, 10:16 AM

The beret appears to be Rifle Green, the cloth name tag suggests to me that the wearer was an officer, though not necessarily so.
I've no doubt beret gurus will comment on the lining and dating.
Old 28-11-23, 10:31 AM

Not being knowledgeable on cap and beret colours if it is 'Rifle Green' beret who wore them and when? - as the OBLI seemingly didn't have Green berets?? (confused) and why would it be supporting a OBLI badge??
Old 28-11-23, 07:32 PM

Agreed, appears Rifle green, not Commando green and judging by all that machine stitching to the lining, not one I would consider to be of WWII era manufacture, BUT, I’m no expert!

Did private purchase officer berets come with the fabric headband like that or would they have been leather?

Could be a veteran’s post war replacement head dress with their original badge.

Cheers……John
Old 28-11-23, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Agreed, appears Rifle green, not Commando green and judging by all that machine stitching to the lining, not one I would consider to be of WWII era manufacture, BUT, I’m no expert!

Did private purchase officer berets come with the fabric headband like that or would they have been leather?

Could be a veteran’s post war replacement head dress with their original badge.

Cheers……John
Thanks John - but I thought the OBLI berets were red not any form of green, even after the war?
Cheers
Old 28-11-23, 10:37 PM

Ummm, I’m under the impression only the 2nd batt. OBLI would have worn a maroon beret whilst they were part of the 6th Airlanding Brigade, until it ceased to exist in 1946 and the batt. became part of an infantry formation again.

What headdress the other OBLI battalions wore I couldn’t say, as despite having been at the regiment’s museum only a couple of weeks ago, because I had my single-digit-midget in tow, he would only allow me enough time to myself to gawp at the airborne stuff in the collection before dragging me elsewhere!!

Cheers……John
Old 29-11-23, 08:57 AM

Oxf & Bucks LI wore Rifle Green berets from about 1950. They wore khaki berets with green circular badge backing post war until then?
Old 29-11-23, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Oxf & Bucks LI wore Rifle Green berets from about 1950. They wore khaki berets with green circular badge backing post war until then?
From "REGIMENTAL JOURNAL 1950 APRIL NUMBER 116":

Quote:
Owing to the many changes in dress for officers of the Regiments in the Light Infantry Brigade it has been decided to publish these changes in the Journal, pending the publication of revised Dress Regulations.

5. Head-dress

(b) Beret. Light Infantry green with ¾ size silver or white metal badge worn over the left eye.

NOTE. The ¾ size cap-badge will shortly be worn in all types of head-dress by all ranks.
http://www.lightbobs.com/1950-office...gulations.html

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 29-11-23, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
From "REGIMENTAL JOURNAL 1950 APRIL NUMBER 116":

http://www.lightbobs.com/1950-office...gulations.html

Well that seems to have sorted it! well done.

So it looks like a 1950> beret with a silver 3/4 badge, which it most probably is (they don't give the measurements for a 3/4 badge).

Are those regulations for Officers only? - as it wasn't clear to me?

Also - they don't mention the 'side cap', why have they missed that out I wonder?
Old 29-11-23, 12:34 PM

The 3/4 size badge reference is to a smaller version of the regiments cap badge, often referred to by collectors and dealers as the beret badge, but it was also to be worn on caps, the cap badges of some other regiments were similarly reduced to 3/4 size.
The badge on the beret in post no.1 is of a different design to the two sizes of cap badge, being a shoulder title used on some forms of headgear such as the Field Service Cap (the sidecap).
Old 29-11-23, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The 3/4 size badge reference is to a smaller version of the regiments cap badge, often referred to by collectors and dealers as the beret badge, but it was also to be worn on caps, the cap badges of some other regiments were similarly reduced to 3/4 size.
The badge on the beret in post no.1 is of a different design to the two sizes of cap badge, being a shoulder title used on some forms of headgear such as the Field Service Cap (the sidecap).
So the silver badge that I have (shown on my beret) is what you think was a shoulder title that was used in this instance on my beret and differs in size to the 3/4 and larger badge? - or is the badge I have on my beret classed as the 3/4 badge and eventually could be worn on all caps/hats - is that right?

I have also the OBLI 'full size' cap badge with a slider, where would that have been worn then if the 3/4 badge was eventually to be worn on all caps?

Its all very confusing - but I'm getting there (I think!!)
Old 29-11-23, 01:28 PM

The badge on your beret is the shoulder title type badge, see here, on one of the "Lightbobs" website pages:

http://www.lightbobs.com/headdress.html

The large stringed bugle cap badge as worn in the peaked caps was supersceeded by the 3/4 size one, so the large badge would no longer be worn.
I don't have the badges to hand to photograph, images would probably help clarify.
Old 02-12-23, 08:34 PM

Leigh - thank you for that info.

Would it be more 'correct' then if I take the slivered badge that is on the 50's beret off and place it on my OBLI dark green side cap that I also have - would that then be correct for a WW2 side cap?
Old 02-12-23, 10:03 PM

I had a look through some Regimental Chronicles . I couldnt find a KCR Brown listed as an Officer but the earliest i have is 1958.