British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-11-11, 08:13 AM

I agree on 'Police' and not just S.A.P. Fine fellows though they were, and no doubt still are, but I would still like to see the Palestine Police, the Royal Hong Kong, BSAP, and others, as well as UK police in this section.

There are members of the forum who go in for Prison Service stuff, so should this section perhaps read: 'Police and Prison Service'

John
Old 26-11-11, 09:45 AM

Hi John, I was thinking of have "Police" under the South African section, because they were always military. Take the SA Constabulary who were a fighting force during the Boer War. During both World Wars we had police battalions and even in the 1980's we had Koevoet, all figting forces. These are to name but a few. I do not think that our current police are a fighting force, but then we are not at war. That is why I feel that the SA Police were not only police, but also soldiers. I know their are many police collectors and there can be a section for them, but I have always grouped mine together. The BSAP from Rhodesia need to also be grouped with Rhodesia, as they were also a fighting force. Regards Andrew
Old 26-11-11, 10:16 AM

I take your point Andrew, and reckon Baden-Powell did a good job when he was involved with the South African Constabulary, but I will always fight the BSAP corner - the 'First Line of Defence', the 'Right of the Line', but do concede the Kenya Police were pretty hot stuff in Mau Mau days, and the line between police and military becomes blurred, so I stick with a section for the fuzz generally, and not specifically SAP.
Kind regards,

John
Old 26-11-11, 10:58 AM

This looks great; I take it that prisons will be lumped in with Police as they also have a few interesting old badges
Bill
Old 26-11-11, 11:20 AM

Well said 7923.

Regards

John
Old 26-11-11, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Don't you think this is the best place for Rhodesia, merged in with SA?

If I found something I thought was an early Southern Rhodesia badge, my inclination would be to post in the South African section to ask about it. How about calling this section Southern Africa? or is that insulting
Old 26-11-11, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Simples.
Old 26-11-11, 01:16 PM

[QUOTE=Mike;143754]Don't you think this is the best place for Rhodesia, merged in with SA?

Many years ago Rhodesia held a referendum on that. The answer was 'No'.

Seriously though, your suggestion of 'Southern Africa' has merit, and if change is really wanted then I would prefer to see the forum divided into Navy,Army, Air Force, Police and Prison Service. With sub-divisions where necessary for British and foreign services, not forgetting the Merchant Navy, but that having been said I am quite comfortable with things as they are.

Regards,

John

Last edited by johnG; 26-11-11 at 02:11 PM.
Old 26-11-11, 01:30 PM

Andrew/Iain

Rhodesia had loads of badges and without trying to be too fussy and "pushing" our luck with Mike, how about a combined Northern and Southern Rhodesian section with sub sections; General, Army, Airforce and Police?

I do not want to stand on Rhosian collectors toes at all as I do not collect Rhodesian badges except artillery, however, many people do collect to both Northern and Southern Rhodesia.

Brian
Old 26-11-11, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

If I found something I thought was an early Southern Rhodesia badge, my inclination would be to post in the South African section to ask about it. How about calling this section Southern Africa? or is that insulting
Hi Mike, I am a pure South African collector, which includes S.W.A. As from WW1 to 1989 it was like a fourth province, I don't collect beyond that area. But honestly, even if it stays as it was, I enjoy the forum all the time. If I had my choice they would be seperate and the SA one would be Army, Air Force, Navy and Police. But, Mike it is all up to you. Whatever you decide, I will continue to enjoy the forum. Regards Andrew
Old 26-11-11, 01:59 PM

Hi Mike, looks great. Thank you. Andrew
Old 26-11-11, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Hi Mike,

cant you just squeeze Rhodesia in between NZ and Indian, basically where it was before and you could even call it other "Southern African badges." Might upset a few Rhodies but they did have the choice of becoming another province within SA as pointed out by John but choose otherwise. So sad.
regards,

Iain
Old 27-11-11, 02:04 AM
Banned

Quote:

Hello Mike,
Why couldn't Rhodesia have a separate section which could not only cover Rhodesia but also Southern Rhodesia and the Federation when it contained Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) and Nyasaland (Malawi). In reality therefore the Rhodesian section would cover four different countries or colonies under one section.
As a collector of Rhodesian militaria it is a continual problem with people who confuse Rhodesian militaria with SA militaria particularly from the period of 1970 through to 1980. Sellers on Ebay illustrate this problem with frequent consistency.
Old 27-11-11, 08:07 AM

Hi All
Nice to see the new SA sections, that's great.
Thanks. Cheers,
Alex
Old 27-11-11, 02:13 PM

Yes,

doesn't it fill your heart a little.

regards,

Iain