British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-07-11, 08:57 AM

Default Land Rover badge - is this Rhodesian ?

I have had this badge for a while and have never worked out which army it belonged to. It is an anodised badge , it represents a land rover, so I guess a driver proficiency badge. I see in Radford's book, item 968 he has a cloth Land Rover badge as a Secuity Force Auxilliary badge. The dimensions are 35mm ( front to back) and 19mm high. It has 2 lugs and is well made. Any ideas ?
Thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknownquala.JPG (92.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg unknownqualb.JPG (61.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-07-11, 09:03 AM
Banned

Are you sure it isn't a poor form of pewter ? I ask this because there is a huge series of subject lapel pins manufactured to appeal to enthusuasts of all kinds - shooters, anglers, Land Rover enthusiasts, etc. The modern pin fitting shown on your example is used on this range of lapel badges. These items are usually for sale at country shows and in country stores including fishing tackle and gun shops - also on the internet. Regards. David
Old 02-07-11, 12:49 PM

Default Land Rover?

Looks more like the late (and unlamented) Austin Gypsy to me. Would they have been exported to Rhodesia or South Africa?
Austin Gypsy.jpg
Old 03-07-11, 09:04 AM

So , let's get this right. What I have is a badge that might well have come out of a Christmas cracker and it's not even modeled on a real Land Rover, but a second rate knock off. And I had such high hopes for it ..!
Thanks for the help, Mike & David.
Mike
Old 03-07-11, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by natal01 View Post
So , let's get this right. What I have is a badge that might well have come out of a Christmas cracker and it's not even modeled on a real Land Rover, but a second rate knock off. And I had such high hopes for it ..!
Thanks for the help, Mike & David.
Mike
Mike - Have you tried ebay for a direct comparison. Go to Collectables then Badges then Land Rover - you may just see the same thing to confirm one way or the other. Sorry it probably isn't a Bosleys record breaker ! Regards. David