British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-09-11, 09:41 AM

Hi chris,

Yes I was a member of the unit in 1978 and wore the Buckinghamshire Battalion a/a badge. I still have three from that time all the Gaunt B'ham type. Two blackened and one with the high points showing.

I was not with them when they rebadged but they were certainly RGJ badged by 1981 when I was next associated with them via the TA.

If you give me a couple of days I can do some digging and hopefully come up with some definate dates.

I do not know when they adopted the Bucks Bn badge but I have seen photos from the 1950's and 60's of AIs wearing the OBLI Bugle beret badge and possibly the RBH badge.

According to a document I have compiled by the Bucks TAFA the Bucks Cadet Battalion was affiliated to the RGJ in 1967.

Regards

Steve
Old 29-09-11, 01:05 PM

Hi,

Have done some digging and below are extracts from the Buckinghamshire Cadet Battalion’s entries in the Royal Green Jackets Chronicles for 1974 & 1979.

This would put the usage of the Buckinghamshire Battalion badge between 1974 and 1980 at the latest.

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE CADET BATTALION 1974
“Nineteen seventy-four has been rather more eventful than usual, one might almost say hectic for Bucks. A.C.F., but in spite of it all—or perhaps because of it — the Battalion is in excellent heart. The main event of the year has been our affiliation to the Royal Green Jackets and, because we were affiliated to the Royal Artillery only five years ago, some explanation of why this has happened is necessary.

The simple truth is that in spite of the best will in the world, the Gunners simply could not support us on the ground in Buckinghamshire. There are all sorts of reasons for this, none of which reflect the slightest discredit on the Royal Regiment, but they simply could not do so. As a result, and with their agreement, we felt it was imperative to find someone else to take us on. It is singularly appropriate that we should now be looked after by the only Regular Regiment which exists today which has long historical county connections in Buckinghamshire. Undoubtedly there were mutters in some quarters that "the Black Mafia were at it again" but it is clear that our new affiliation is a matter of deep satisfaction to us all, not only within the Regiment itself, but throughout the county. To perpetuate our county identity we have received permission to wear the old Buckinghamshire Battalion badge, which is the black Maltese Cross incorporating the county emblem, the Swan, in its centre.

The benefits of this affiliation are already much apparent. We receive invaluable help in Buckinghamshire from the R.G.J. Cadet Training Team and from the "D" Company 4 R.G.J. at Aylesbury.”

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE CADET BATTALION 1979
“Finally, it is with some nostalgia, yet with pride, that the Buckinghamshire ACF is being rebadged. We are replacing our erstwhile Bucks Battalion Cap Badge with that of the Royal Green Jackets. This must surely cement the already warm relationship between us and hopefully portend a better and closer liaison.”

Regards

Steve

Last edited by lightbobs; 29-09-11 at 06:31 PM.
Old 29-09-11, 06:44 PM

Thanks Steve,

Pretty compelling evidence that the badge was used by the Buckinghamshire ACF between 1969 and 1974.

Many Thanks!!!

Chris
Old 30-09-11, 07:55 AM

Hi Chris,
Just to clarify my post the confirmed dates of use would be 1974-1979.

Regards

Steve

Last edited by Alan O; 21-02-19 at 03:44 PM.
Old 30-09-11, 08:41 PM

Hi,

Another potential spanner in the works I’m afraid regarding the Buckinghamshire Battalion badge.

Below are some notes I made a few years ago in the Bucks county record office and are extracts from the unit standing Orders on dress for both 645(LAA) RA and 431(LAA) RA the successor units to the Buckinghamshire Battalion and these although stating that the unit is part of the Royal Artillery state that the Bucks Bn badge is to be worn. As the 431 Standing Orders were dated 1957 this would imply that a QC badge would be worn.
Unfortunately I do not have actual copies of these documents but I hope to be able to rectify this in due course.

431 LAA REGIMENT STANDING ORDERS NOVEMBER 1957

R & S BATTERIES & BAND
Cap Badge and Buttons- Bucks Bn
On the understanding that RA collars to be worn.

645 LAA REGIMENT STANDING ORDERS DRESS SECTION C

BD BLOUSE all exposed Buttons to be Black Rifle Flat
RA Shoulder Titles
Lanyard Black single Left Shoulder
Badges of Rank- LI Green 1 1/4" woven
Medal Ribbons-3/8" wide
Trousers-All exposed Buttons Rifle Flat

Headdress:-
Cap SD-Officers Patt Black Maltese Cross
Blue Beret-Red Cord Boss Silver Swan mounted on Regimental Grey Back to show 1/8" all round

Ors
Badges of Rank-Black & Red
Lanyards Right Shoulder
Blue Beret-Black Maltese Cross
WOs Red Cord Boss as Officers

Cap Badges
SILVER PLATE-OFFICERS NO1
BLACK METAL-SD & BERET
BLACK METAL ORs ALL

Ps Chris, thank you for the PM I will respond shortly, I’m still a bit new to this forum thingy!

Regards

Steve
Old 16-12-13, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3212714346...84.m1423.l2649

£54!
Old 18-12-13, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
That's not bad Alan,the last couple on ebay have been in the £60 region and theres been a few on dealers sites that have sold straight away.
Old 04-02-17, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3718478317...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Still getting top prices.
Old 05-02-17, 11:20 PM

Default Bucks ACF/CCF

Further to the earlier picture of the cloth cap badge, I attach a couple of pictures of a beret with an embroidered cap badge I got off a chap who said he was in the "Bucks Cadets".
I note that the cap badge is beautifully made, with a King's Crown and is being worn on a 1951 dated blue beret. He sold me 2 of these berets, the other is dated 1954.

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4007.jpg (81.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4008.jpg (63.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-02-17, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Alan, indeed, but it is a particularly 'clean' example.

Incidentally, contrary to the above posts this badge is also found with a Gaunt London slider. Mine has the shaped red felt backing glued to the rear of the badge. Reasonably late London mark if they were worn from 74 - 79 by ACF lads. But lets not go down that road again!

Nice cloth beret examples Ian. The cloth badge alone is reasonably scarce.

Regards all

Bess
Old 06-02-17, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Did the ACF ever wear brass ones or are the Gaunt Bham ones spurious as thought?
Old 06-02-17, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Hi Alan, indeed, but it is a particularly 'clean' example.

Incidentally, contrary to the above posts this badge is also found with a Gaunt London slider. Mine has the shaped red felt backing glued to the rear of the badge. Reasonably late London mark if they were worn from 74 - 79 by ACF lads. But lets not go down that road again!

Nice cloth beret examples Ian. The cloth badge alone is reasonably scarce.

Regards all

Bess
mine is Gaunt Bham ,with a fitted red backing over the slider. I'm not 100% as to the maker of the one I let William have,that may have been a glued backing.
The information I have was that High Wycombe Grammar School CCF wore this badge too.That came from the OC of the CCF who sent me a snippet from their archives.
Old 06-02-17, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianh67military View Post
Further to the earlier picture of the cloth cap badge, I attach a couple of pictures of a beret with an embroidered cap badge I got off a chap who said he was in the "Bucks Cadets".
I note that the cap badge is beautifully made, with a King's Crown and is being worn on a 1951 dated blue beret. He sold me 2 of these berets, the other is dated 1954.

Ian H
Really nice that Ian,there was a similar type cloth badge in a lot on e..y not long ago.Both sides and bottom "v" shaped but the top was a fair bit longer than the top of the swan. I'm sure that the small black on red cloth Bucks badge was in the lot too.
Old 06-02-17, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Did the ACF ever wear brass ones or are the Gaunt Bham ones spurious as thought?
That's a good question mate. Unknown by me. My Gaunt Bham one has definitely been worn as it has all the classic wear marks. Not sure why the A/A Gaunt Bham badges would be especially spurious. I also have one with all the top edges 'cleaned off' to reveal the alloy underneath. Unfortunately the slider is missing, but it did come from a stall where a couple of lads were selling off a load of cadet looking combats and boots etc . . . .
Old 06-02-17, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

No the a/a are fine for the ACF. Its the Blackened brass Gaunt Bham ones I that I don't like.