British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-10-16, 04:26 AM

Default Sliders education

I searched the site many times for some threads which can teach me a thing or two on various types of sliders used on cap badges but to no avail. (I personally think that's because my research skills are just rubbish.) Can some kind soul point me to the right direction?

Makers marks, crimp, tapered and long sliders, those I understand. But the different types of curves (or waves) really confuse me. With no fair or museum nearby to go to and see how the sliders may work and why they are shaped differently, this place is my last resort...

Thank you so much.
Old 10-10-16, 07:06 AM

Just to help, where are you located-UK, EUROPE, etc??

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 10-10-16, 07:38 AM

"Far East"...and will be here for some time.

I do come back to the UK now and then, if only to experience the weather.
Old 10-10-16, 12:54 PM

I would think curves or waves mentioned happened during use- pressure applied to attach the badge securely to headdress. Regards, Paul.
Old 10-10-16, 05:22 PM

NiceGirlC,

One of the problems of this Forum is that, despite the fact there is a lot of information here on a lot of military insignia related matters, it is often difficult to find what you are looking for from old threads

The subject of sliders has been discussed on many occasions and in relation to a lot of aspects of the subject.

I have tried a search on "Sliders" and was disappointed that the search results did not find the threads I was hoping might have been found. The information you need is here but will take some finding.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-10-16, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
NiceGirlC,

One of the problems of this Forum is that, despite the fact there is a lot of information here on a lot of military insignia related matters, it is often difficult to find what you are looking for from old threads

The subject of sliders has been discussed on many occasions and in relation to a lot of aspects of the subject.

I have tried a search on "Sliders" and was disappointed that the search results did not find the threads I was hoping might have been found. The information you need is here but will take some finding.

Peter
Hi Peter.

Thanks. So long as the information is here somewhere, then it's fine. I do not mind reading all 200+ posts...

NGC
Old 11-10-16, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGirlC View Post
I searched the site many times for some threads which can teach me a thing or two on various types of sliders used on cap badges but to no avail. (I personally think that's because my research skills are just rubbish.) Can some kind soul point me to the right direction?

Makers marks, crimp, tapered and long sliders, those I understand. But the different types of curves (or waves) really confuse me. With no fair or museum nearby to go to and see how the sliders may work and why they are shaped differently, this place is my last resort...

Thank you so much.
Hello NGC,

I too am a little confused by your ref to curves and waves. Are you able to post examples of the type of slider/s you refer to, at all? Are any of the examples below the sort of thing you mean:

Would you say Paul has perhaps nailed it already when he mentions the bending of sliders during use and when attaching badges securely to headdress?

Regards,

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 11-10-16 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-10-16, 01:21 PM

I also failed in that search.
Billy asked a related question in the RFC/RAF area. RAF (KC) ORs badges are nigh on impossible to date, but if sliders are datable, and you have a slider on a RAF badge, you should be able to date the badge, right?
Old 11-10-16, 06:00 PM

Jelly, your fourth photograph shows an original factory fixture. What collectors call 'hairpin sliders' were ordered by the WO for particularly weak badges.

I think I have read that the obvious distortion on your first photograph may be a way of keeping the badge secured.
The other distortion I can think of are those held in place on a beret by the 'clip' that the WO issued in March 1940.
Old 12-10-16, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Jelly, your fourth photograph shows an original factory fixture. What collectors call 'hairpin sliders' were ordered by the WO for particularly weak badges.

I think I have read that the obvious distortion on your first photograph may be a way of keeping the badge secured.
The other distortion I can think of are those held in place on a beret by the 'clip' that the WO issued in March 1940.
Thanks Julian,

Images posted for no other reason than to establish whether any of the examples shown depict the types 'curves' and 'waves' that NGC refers to in her opening post.

I'm still not clear - perhaps she hasn't yet read the replies to her query.

Cheers for now,

JT