British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-11, 01:57 PM

Default 'T' RFA 2.WILTS Titles

I picked up these titles last W/E but am unable to find them in Ray Westlake's book. I assume WW1 or prior to WW1? Any help gratefully received.

Thanks Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2WILTS1.jpg (49.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2WILTS2.jpg (41.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 24-12-11, 04:20 PM

A look in Litchfield "The Territorial Artillery" shows the only title listed for Wiltshire was T/RFA/ WILTSHIRE. In fact there appears to have been few territorial artillery units in Wiltshire.

Very few Royal Artillery territorial metal titles appear to have incorporated a numeral and those were West Riding units.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-12-11, 07:48 PM

Also in Litchfield's Booklet on S/Ts, only the T/RFA/Wiltshire is depicted. I am sure that had there been a "2Wilts" he would have commented, as he did on a couple of strange titles, namely T/RFA/Bute and T/RGA/Seaforth.
Old 24-12-11, 10:17 PM

Check in the shoulder titles book (that you have) to see if there is a 2 WILTS of any kind, as there are a lot of dubious T titles about. If no other 2 WILTS title exists then it may be correct and we have all missed it.

Marc
Old 25-12-11, 08:32 AM

Marc,

I had already done that and there is no 2/WILTS in either of the Westlake books or the supplement to the second book.

It is either a very scarce item or ?

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-12-11, 12:05 PM

Thanks one and all. These were bought for very little so they were not sold at top end to hook in the unwary. Construction is good and they suggest some natural wear however I am not naive enough to suggest that modern day fakers can't replicate all the above but I'll hold fast a little longer before assigning them to the reproduction bin.

Happy Xmas to you all and as always thanks for your wise words and advice.

Mark
Old 25-12-11, 12:21 PM

Do not go "assigning them to the reproduction bin" put them to one side for later. There have been many many Royal Regiment of Artillery items discovered that have previously been unseen or heard of. Also some that have been incorrectly identified. Let me know when you want to dispose of them, I keep stuff for ever.

Marc
Old 26-12-11, 01:05 AM

Default 2nd Wilts RFA

Hi. They look to me as though they are cast brass titles made in India during the Great War and not known to Ray Westlake when he wrote his books. From your photo the lugs appear to be the small thin types you see on this type of title and the reverses look rougher than the fronts.The Wiltshire RFA formed one battery of the 3rd Wessex Brigade RFA. In 1914 this unit became the 1st / 3rd when a second line unit (the 2nd / 3rd) was formed. Thus you had a situation where there now existed a 2nd Wilts RFA battery. They served in India 1915-18 and in the 3rd Afghan War in 1919. Many TF units serving in India during WW1 had their T titles made out there and i guess the 2nd Wilts battery just decided to set themselves apart from the 1st when the time came to have new titles made. Somewhat scarce titles i'd say considering they disbanded in 1919. Regards, Andrew.
Old 26-12-11, 11:41 AM

Hello Andrew,

Your analysis of their construction is spot on. The rough cast backs and thin lugs all tally. The obverses are actually well detailed and exhibit some wear or perhaps polishing. So possibly locally made in India by Territorial units in WW1

really helpful many thanks

Mark
Old 26-12-11, 09:24 PM

Hi been collecting Wilts REG 30yrs + never seen these or read about them .See my albums for other wilts s/t
Old 26-12-11, 09:56 PM

Forgot to add can,t remember seeing these when the Tracy artillery collection was sold, I should think one of the most comprehensive collections Norman Litchfield purchased a number of items from this sale ,i also sold spare s/t to H.King [complete R.H.A +other items]
Old 27-12-11, 10:42 AM

Default Locally made

There is a good chance that these titles were all disposed of whilst the unit was abroad, some sentimental soul hung on to his pair for posterity.

Watch out for "unissued" titles such as these appearing . . !
Old 27-12-11, 04:14 PM

Default More Pictures

Some more pictures to ponder.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (33.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (48.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (37.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (39.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (39.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (38.3 KB, 16 views)