British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-10, 11:49 AM

Default 5th Dragoon Guards Sealed Pattern Date

The badge of the 5th Dragoon Guards featuring the Crown over the VDG, see photograph, is well known. For many years I believed this to be the badge adopted for the amalgamated regiment of the 5th Dragoon Guards and 6th Inniskilling Dragoons sometime post 1922.
Recently I found photographic evidence of the officers of the 5th Dragoon Guards wearing this badge as early as 1914. The photograph resides in the digital archives of the National Library of Scotland and shows officers of the regiment sitting by a canal or river in Belgium(?) or France following their deployment with the British Expeditionary Force. There is further photograhic proof with the picture of Captain Charles Pooley MC, 5DG, who died 09/08/1918 on the www.WW1 Cemeteries.com website.
I am seeking details of the date and authority for the Sealed Pattern of this badge and would welcome any information Forum members can provide please.

Many thanks

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5th Dragoon Guards Officer's cap badge.jpg (12.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 30-03-10, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Gordon,

From memory this was one of the ORs badges that was not used by the amlgamted regt until the late 1920s and prior to that they wore the 2 old badges depending on which sqn they were in.

It would not be the first time that an Officers' badge design was taken up for general use.

Sorry I can't be of more help but Cavalry Officers badges are not an area I know a huge amount about.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 05-04-24 at 04:47 PM.
Old 30-03-10, 04:48 PM

Hi Alan

Many thanks.

I feel sure that a Forum member has the answer squirrelled away somewhere or has access to the relevant regulation.

It will come.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 30-03-10, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Gordon,

K&K state that the Army order changing the regt's name from 5/6th DG to 5th DG was in 1927. There is then a sealed date for the ORs VDG badge in 1929. The Officers' badges were obviously being worn much earlier but it gives a likely start date for their (official) wear by the ORs. I am not sure that there will be a sealed date recorded for Officers but you might find it in the regtl dress regulations of that period.

Alan
Old 30-03-10, 05:30 PM

Hi Alan

If I have got this anywhere near right this is the page showing the officers of 5DG wearing the badge in question. The date is 1914 or thereabouts.

http://digital.nls.uk/pageturner.cfm?id=74546278

Sadly I do not possess the relevant Dress Regulations to research but I have every faith that someone has them and will help. (Please!)

Best wishes

Gordon

Last edited by Alan O; 30-03-10 at 05:56 PM.
Old 30-03-10, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Gordon,

The style of hat with the buckled strap is later than 1914. You would need to ask a cap expert but I think it is more likely to be 1916 or 17.

Alan
Old 03-04-10, 08:02 PM

Default 5th Dragoon Guards Sealed Pattern authority

Hi All

Now that the world has started to revolve again could I draw your attention to a request for information regarding the Sealed Pattern date for the cap badge worn by officers of 5DG. It disappeared from the radar during the recent period of "Forum Warming".
I am still anxious to find an authority and date for the officers of 5DG to wear the "Crown over VDG" badge c1914, probably earlier. Is there anybody out there with access to Dress Regulations who might be able to help?

Best wishes

Gordon