British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-10-11, 12:02 PM

Default What are these RAF wings?

Hi guys,

I have seen quite a few of these, I have seen them described as Pathfinders (which I know they are not), drivers, War Service and a few others.

I can't find them in any of my own books and I can't find a reliable online source, can anybody help me?

The wings measure roughly 5.5cm across and are roughly 2.5cm high.

Cheers

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture-5.jpg (65.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Phil2M; 01-08-14 at 08:30 AM. Reason: put picture back in post
Old 07-10-11, 08:04 PM
Banned

In 30 years Ive never found an answer Phil. There are many many repros about, although some reckon they were worn as collar badges by early (pre WW2) RAF bands.
Old 07-10-11, 11:44 PM

Hi SAS1,

Thanks for replying.

I'm glad that im not just being incredibly dumb. I was thinking its probably a collar but just really didnt have a clue, this one was sold to me as an RAF drivers badge although i didnt believe that.

Phil
Old 09-10-11, 01:40 PM

Smile

Hi, if this is a collar badge, has anyone got a mirror image? I too have been offered many explanations as to what this badge is; I have only come across right facing examples?

Dave Moore
Old 09-10-11, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Moore View Post
Hi, if this is a collar badge, has anyone got a mirror image? I too have been offered many explanations as to what this badge is; I have only come across right facing examples?

Dave Moore
Same here. I've only ever seen this version facing right.
Old 09-10-11, 03:22 PM

Very interesting, so is it a possible fantasy badge? I must admit that I dont recall ever seeing an opposite facing example either!

Phil
Old 10-10-11, 10:10 AM

Question A few ideas

When I first encountered one of these badges my initial thought was that it was possiblly a short lived forage cap badge; Eagle/Albatross facing right, stylish etc or from an MP'S arm band (in a similar style to some Regimental policemen wearing their parent unit cap badge). Since then I have just seen too many around for this to be the case. I have also seen examples in a variety of finnishes; GM, bronze, polished and some that look chemically aged! My gut instinct is that most of these badges are restrikes and possibly fantasy badges.

This said, I have also seen an example that was very convincing, it would be nice if it did turn out to be a genuine pattern. But I am convinced that 90% are restrikes.

Happy hunting

Dave
Old 10-10-11, 10:47 AM

I am with Dave on this one. I have one in my collection which I am 90% sure is right, it is in a good gilding metal with correct lugs, no applied age etc, but I have never seen a picture of one being worn. If they are right I think they are pre WW2 , I have had some explanations offered to me with no proof,
1 Fantasy based on an origional sweetheart
2 Early forage cap badge
3 Early womans badge
4 Old comrades badge
I would love to see a picture of one being worn. Regards Kevin
Old 10-10-11, 10:47 AM

So essentially the fakers are faking fakes!

I will hold on to my example, never know what may surface in the future.

Phil
Old 10-10-11, 02:57 PM
Banned

Kevin

Your note mentioning an Old Comrades badge is interesting, not something I had thought of. I think that is a strong possibility for several reasons.

I too have seen some ghastly fakes, but others with what appears to be genuine aging, indicating that those at least are old. All those I have seen have had lugs and split pin fitting (unless gilt and clearly a sweetheart) indicating too its a semi-military badge. I have never seen one being worn, nor have I ever seen one shown in regulations at any time, or those badge charts that appear from time to time.

Although bandsmen used uniforms unique to them, some on short term, it might be to do with that but there are far too many about to be so. I think a private purchase old comrades badge, to be worn on a cap at reunions is probably a good guess.
Old 22-10-11, 12:01 PM

I think the Old Comrades badge is highly plausible, but why is there no photographic reference to them being worn? its very strange given that this is the internet age.

The latest possible ID I have had after this thread is 'Civilian Drivers side cap badge'

I wonder if its worth contacting the RAFA?

Regards

Phil
Old 22-10-11, 07:10 PM
Banned

Im 99% certain Phil, that civilian drivers wore a black greatcoat type coat with black plastic 'RAF' impressed buttons, and a plack cap with patent peak and seperate eagle and crown badge. I dont know what was worn in the way of tunic, but I dont think a side cap was worn.
Old 22-10-11, 08:15 PM

I looked on ebay and found Heys810's listing for civilian drivers badges. As you say, seperate eagle and crown.

Phil
Old 23-10-11, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Hi guys,

I have seen quite a few of these, I have seen them described as Pathfinders (which I know they are not), drivers, War Service and a few others.

I can't find them in any of my own books and I can't find a reliable online source, can anybody help me?

The wings measure roughly 5.5cm across and are roughly 2.5cm high.

Cheers

Phil
Hi mate,
It's a very early RAF officers side hat badge from just after the RAF was formed, and only worn for about 6-8 months in 1918, they did away with the RAF at the bottom of the badge in early 1919 as the powers that b decided it was not neccesary.
There are alot of fakes about so be careful, but if you have provenance with it that shows its an original you are talking about hundreds rather than afew pounds.
Hope this helps
Old 23-10-11, 12:51 PM

Question Any tips

Hello badgeman, any tips for spotting the real thing?

Dave M