British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-09-11, 02:51 PM

Default World War Two RAF Air-Sea Rescue Launch Crew overalls patch

Hi all,

Is this what it says it is?

I trust the dealer but thought that I had seen it described as something different on the forum.

http://www.cchmilitaria.co.uk/airforce/af.html

I have an interest due to a family member serving in WW2 on RAF rescue launches in the Med.

Cheers

Phil
Old 15-09-11, 05:15 PM

HI its worn on the arm of the Battle dress and sevice tunic , the badge appears original if you search on he for Steve .B` collection you will see it attached to original uniform examples .

Not heard the ` wearing it on overals ` before ?

regards Michael
Old 15-09-11, 05:20 PM

Cheers Nemo

Thats the part I was really wondering about.

I will take a look at that collection in a bit.

Thanks

Phil
Old 16-09-11, 10:58 AM

My partner's uncle (who passed away a couple of months ago) was also WW2ASR and that badge looks fine compared with the ones he showed me.
Old 16-09-11, 11:37 AM

Cheers staffsyeoman, if somebody doesnt get it before me, then I may well raise some money for this one.
Old 09-11-11, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Cheers staffsyeoman, if somebody doesnt get it before me, then I may well raise some money for this one.
hi plaes take a look at my ASR ALBUM cheers Steve
Old 09-11-11, 08:57 PM

Hi Gentlemen

I have a model of an ASR launch in the airfield museum HMS SULTAN, Gosport. The site was an airfield from 1914 to 1956 and the ASR launches were attached to the RAF Airfield at Gosport. The model is of launch 2608. There is therefore a possibility that the launch shown in ASR142s picture album worked in the same area. Any connection? I also have a cloth ASR badge in the museum donated by the widow of Gosport ASR man.

John
Old 10-11-11, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royston View Post
Hi Gentlemen

I have a model of an ASR launch in the airfield museum HMS SULTAN, Gosport. The site was an airfield from 1914 to 1956 and the ASR launches were attached to the RAF Airfield at Gosport. The model is of launch 2608. There is therefore a possibility that the launch shown in ASR142s picture album worked in the same area. Any connection? I also have a cloth ASR badge in the museum donated by the widow of Gosport ASR man.

John
Hi John
The ASR launch your refering to was made by a diffrent company the numbers on the launches dont follow in any perticual order only by when they where ordered by the air ministry and then they where givern their numbers which they must then put it on the boat plate as this was the refrence for the boat during its life .The photo here is one of the same type and made buy the same company based on the design by J I Thorny croft and co hampton middlesex this contract was sub contracted out to verious other companies including meakers of marlow which when I check my boat plate and the number on it no I beleave my have fallen in the same 8 didgit number as this I will confirm it over the weekend when I get the plate out to check it steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1789.jpg (34.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3815.jpg (41.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3819.jpg (41.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by ASR142; 10-11-11 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 07:52 PM

Default World War Two RAF Air-Sea Rescue Launch Crew overalls patch

This is a bargain as it the very scarce printed type! Well done.
Old 11-11-11, 12:19 AM
Banned

Here is another, original, albeit trimmed at the bottom...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-W...item2c609c8a03
Old 11-11-11, 12:33 AM

Unfortunately it wasnt me that got to buy the badge I mentioned, my mistake was to post about it on a badge collectors forum

Phil
Old 11-11-11, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Unfortunately it wasnt me that got to buy the badge I mentioned, my mistake was to post about it on a badge collectors forum

Phil
Hi Phil
very sorry a forum member sent me an email about the badge with a link as he keeps his eyes open for me and I did not hesertate and got it as I always grab them I have about 24 black printed examples and 4 tropical printed examples in my collection some are on uniforms ( originaly done during the war ) i have nether counted the wovern examples I have in my collection but at a gess I would say about 12-15 the printed examples dont turn up much and do very slightly in coulor see pic in album of the latest 2 which i got on the 23/10/2011 steve