British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-11-10, 05:26 PM

Default Info on Great War South African badges sought...

Good evening

Living on the Western Front, about 1km from the Highland Memorial in Zonnebeke, I'm also quite (well, very much) interested in South African items of the period.

It seems that these items aren't the most common in an allready difficult collecting world

I have now decided to try and collect the South African badges/titles used in the Great War. I allready found the South Africa/INF/Zuid Afrika shoulder title and the Springbok capbadge.

But I want to take the challenge a bit further, and go for specific regimental badges. I know of the existance of the SAHA title and badge, but so far I haven't encountered a good set for sale.

Is there somewhere in the collecting world a good guide that provides info on the badges used by the South Africans during the 14-18 period? Preferably with pictures off course...

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Cheers

Ramses
Old 30-11-10, 07:54 PM

Hi Ramses, Colin Owen's book has a good selection in(not complete). This is likely the best you will currently get. SA Brigade may comment, William has a fine WW1 collection. Regards Andrew
Old 30-11-10, 10:35 PM

Default Info on Gt War SA badges

Is this image any use. It is a Gt War South Africa cloth title. It is one of a number of mixed Allied badges I have which are all affixed to on 'trophy board'. For this reason I cannnot take a photo of the reverse.

The cardboard they are fixed to appears to be German in origin.

Regards, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg South Africa cloth title.jpg (17.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg BILD0672.jpg (46.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 30-11-10, 10:43 PM

Military Badges of the British Empire 1914-18 by Reginald Cox has a section on WW1 South African.... it's also a good reference for the rest of the Commonwealth... Jim
Old 01-12-10, 06:18 AM

I agree with Andrew that the current best and most detailed book available is Colin Owen's.

The South Africans who fought on the Western Front are relatively easy to reserach and their detail is well known.

All these entities are covered in Owen's book except the SA Sharpshooters.
Old 01-12-10, 11:39 AM

Thanks very much for this information.

The Cox book is not an easy one to get over here. I've seen it before, but actually don't remember it having a South African section in it.

The other mentionned book, Colin Owen, is now on my wish list. Maybe let that list laying in the house, and just maybe the missus will find an idea on there for a Christmas present

Cheers

Ramses