British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-23, 05:40 PM

Default 2nd Btn 8th Gurkha Rifles badge 1907

I was delighted to have finally got my hands on this 8GR officers helmet badge. It was first shown by a guest on the forum back in 2017 - and this week he sold it to me ( well it was my birthday ! ) - It's the only one I've ever seen and I believe I can date it pretty accurately. The illustration in the Gurkha Museum's book shows a badge to the 43rd Gurkha Rifles (8GR D8C) worn 1891-1903. The size and design is identical to "my" badge especially with the numeral set on a straight tawse above the intersection of the crossed kukris. In 1903 the 43rd Gurkhas became the 7th Gurkha Rifles* until in Sept 1907 they became the 2nd Btn 8th Gurkha Rifles (* Confusingly this has nothing to do with the 7th Duke of Edinburgh's Gurkha Rifles). However it's my theory that when they became the 2/8GR the regiment reverted to the last design they used when they'd been the 43rd. They may even have reused the old badges although theres no sign of the old number having been removed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8GR.jpg (107.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 8GR2.jpg (113.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 23-02-23, 06:59 PM

Very happy for you, and know it is always a great feeling to finally get a badge you've been seeking for a good long time!!

Nice looking badge!

Terry