British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-23, 09:54 AM

Default RCAF Radio Officer Wings, circa 1952-53

One of my Canadian uncles, whom I never met, served in the RCAF from 1950-1953. From his sparse service record obtained from the Canadian Archives, I gather he first enlisted in the Clerk/Administration Trade, at age 17, advancing to AC1 before being accepted into the RCAF Pilot Accession Program as a flight cadet (F/C). Not sure why, but aspirations to become a pilot failed. Instead my uncle was rated a "Radio Officer" with wings and commissioned a Pilot Officer under the Short Service Commissioning Scheme, at age 19. He was promoted to Flying Officer only a few months later!

His first assignment after commissioning was with the 407 (MR) Squadron at Comox, B.C., flying the maritime version of the Lancaster. Unfortunately he perished in a plane crash only a few months after his 20th birthday.

My understanding of RCAF Aircrew Policy for maritime reconnaissance squadrons, at that time, was aircrew positions were filled primarily by officers versus NCMs, with a few exceptions. When my Uncle perished there were seven officers and three NCMs in the Lancaster, NCMs being one flight engineer and two aero engine technicians. The flight was an admin/transport mission. So, "extra personnel" may have been on board than required for a normal MR mission.

Ironically, my Dad (a career USN NAO/NFO) flew maritime patrol in Neptune and Orion aircraft, as a navigator/TACCO. Had he been RCAF (Maritime Command), I suspect he would have either worn RCAF navigator wings or RCAF radar navigator wings. Conversely, had my uncle been USN at the time, performing comparable duties in a similar aircraft (most likely a P-2 Neptune), he would have worn naval aircrewman wings, and served in an aviation rate versus commission status.

Am I correct?

Also, didn’t “Radio Officer” positions eventually transition into “Radio Operator” positions, staffed by NCMs instead of commissioned ranks? When did this transition begin?

Finally, I bought-for a very reasonable price “Radio Officer/Operator” wings just recently. As soon as I purchased them I realized these were the later Canadian Forces “Gold Wings”.

That’s okay. But, how and where might I obtain 1952/1953 era “silver” RCAF Radio Officer wings? Reasonably priced reproductions are perfectly acceptable too.
Old 10-02-23, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hi tafh63, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 10-02-23, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

I believe your assumptions regarding the entitlement is correct.
Please pm me, as I have a spare of the wing you are looking for.
Old 11-02-23, 11:53 AM

Default RCAF Radio Officer Wings, circa 1952-53

Thanks Bill. Attached is a photo of wings I'm trying to obtain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCAF Radio Officer 1953.jpg (97.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-02-23, 11:58 AM

Default CF Radio Operator Wings, circa 1952-53

Bill - Attached are the wings I recently purchased for under $10.00(USD). They're probably reproductions or resold issued item. As soon as I saw the Gold wings I instantly recognized them as CF wings and not RCAF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCAF Radio Oper. Post 1968.jpg (23.9 KB, 15 views)