British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-01-23, 04:34 AM

Default RFC Question PHOTOGRAPHERS

Did the Royal Flying Corps or British Army, for that sake, have a
trade badge for photographers 1914-1918?

If not, did flying photographers in reconnaissance squadrons
qualify to wear the observer wing like airgunners ?

Thanks

Ken
Old 24-01-23, 08:12 AM

Not aware of any trade badge and I would have thought to fly over the lines in the Great War in a recce role you would likely be a an observer anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force136 View Post
Did the Royal Flying Corps or British Army, for that sake, have a
trade badge for photographers 1914-1918?

If not, did flying photographers in reconnaissance squadrons
qualify to wear the observer wing like airgunners ?

Thanks

Ken
Old 25-01-23, 03:43 AM

Default Photographer

Yes it is a very confusing question. I have a group of medals to a fellow who was a 1AM and was not originally in a flying role. They tried him out as an airgunner and was later told to wear the Observer wing. He was not trained as an observer. I believe this lack of recognition for airgunners led eventually to the winged bullet badge.

I have another set of medals to this photographer fellow. He was trained to take photographs in the air as part of a reconnaissance squadron. He was not trained as an observer. However, there is no mention in records if they were treated the same way as airgunners. So if there was no photographer trade badge, would he also wear an observer wing?
Old 25-01-23, 08:38 AM

I really don't think it is confusing, if you were flying over the lines for the purpose of observation, you were, in effect, an observer, with or without a camera, firearms were issued from the outbreak of the war for airmen to defend themselves against the enemy, they were, again, in effect, air gunners.
Given that flying had taken place for observation for well over a whole year before the Army Orders that brought about the observers badge for officers and then for rank and file, clearly, badges were not uppermost on the minds of airmen, although, I suspect that staying alive was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force136 View Post
Yes it is a very confusing question. I have a group of medals to a fellow who was a 1AM and was not originally in a flying role. They tried him out as an airgunner and was later told to wear the Observer wing. He was not trained as an observer. I believe this lack of recognition for airgunners led eventually to the winged bullet badge.

I have another set of medals to this photographer fellow. He was trained to take photographs in the air as part of a reconnaissance squadron. He was not trained as an observer. However, there is no mention in records if they were treated the same way as airgunners. So if there was no photographer trade
badge, would he also wear an observer wing?
Old 31-01-23, 09:12 PM

Default Badges and insignia

From my experience badges and insignia were indeed important and a means to maintain esprit de corps etc. I also know that the winged bullet badge came about due to gripes from those who were air gunners and wanted recognition for that specific role. Having torn archives apart for answers on other organizations' badges and insignia it would not surprise me in the slightest if this has nothing at all to do with not caring and more about segments of RFC/RAF history not being properly researched and recorded. It still amazes the piles of books written on British insignia and military material culture where the authors never even bother to consult institutions like that at Kew. Since the RFC was international in scope (Canada, US, etc. ) British records in their archives pertaining to dress and insignia may be interesting. I was helping an author with that before the plandemic but it seems to have dried up. Still, I was just hoping someone in the UK might have more detailed explanations.