British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-12-21, 05:03 AM

Default Unknown colour patches any ideas ??

Hi
are these legit and can anyone tell me the unit ??

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (55.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (60.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 20-12-21, 05:20 AM

These appear to be home-made (or theatre-made) versions of Glyde #267, Australian Motor Transport Service, 1916-1919. I would suggest that the Anzac 'A' was earned by service in some other unit, but I don't know anything about the AMTS other than the information Keith supplies in the entry for that particular patch.
Old 21-12-21, 12:51 AM

I reckon I've made an error there too. It probably should be Aust Mechanical Transport Service.

Keith
Old 21-12-21, 07:26 AM

What actually was the unit, Keith? Why such a seemingly eccentric colour patch?
Old 21-12-21, 08:12 AM

Auxiliary Mechanical Transport Company ?

Quote:
In 1918, mechanical transport companies replaced supply columns and ammunition sub parks in order to effect a more efficient utilisation of the available mechanical (as opposed to horse) transport by pooling it under corps control. The auxiliary mechanical transport companies were shipped to provide mechanical transport for AIF units without Australian mechanical transport.
https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/OrderOfB...ice_Corps.html

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 21-12-21, 10:40 AM

Obviously those are the units. My remaining question is, if they were formed in Australia in 1916 and broken up in 1917, how did anyone qualify for the Anzac 'A', as per the original post?
Old 21-12-21, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
if they were formed in Australia in 1916 and broken up in 1917, how did anyone qualify for the Anzac 'A'
From AWM site :

Quote:
ANZAC ‘A’ BADGE

Also in 1917 it was announced that Gallipoli veterans would be entitled to wear a brass letter ‘A’ for Anzac, on their unit colour patches. It is understood that this idea was first suggested by General Gellibrand to General Godley early in 1916, and the badges first appeared later that year. The idea was well received by Anzac veterans who were proud to wear this token of honour they had achieved for the AIF in the 1915 campaign.

Old 21-12-21, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
Obviously those are the units. My remaining question is, if they were formed in Australia in 1916 and broken up in 1917, how did anyone qualify for the Anzac 'A', as per the original post?
all Gallipoli veterans, were entitled to wear the A on their colour patch. many had transferred into other units. happened regularly
bc
Old 21-12-21, 10:53 PM

Yes, I know, but I was suggesting there must have been a very narrow window in the case of these particular units. Strictly speaking, these units were disbanded at the same time as the 'A' was authorised for wear (August 1917).

Last edited by lettman; 21-12-21 at 10:59 PM.
Old 21-12-21, 11:17 PM

I think the AMTS covered an immense variety of personnel. For instance the transport pools in the UK at the camps, etc. Ambulance drivers in Egypt.

Several years ago I posted a photo from State Library of South Australia of one of the tank crew from that tank sent to Australia wearing the patch.

It covered a wide variety of personnel whose duties were as drivers or otherwise on mechanical transport. I do have some drawings from a private notebook that suggest the Siege Battery Ammunition Columns may have worn this patch at one time or another.

Keith
Old 22-12-21, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Several years ago I posted a photo from State Library of South Australia of one of the tank crew from that tank sent to Australia wearing the patch.
While I was digging around on the net I think spotted that photo on another forum (but didn't bookmark it ) , an NCO with chevrons , metal tank arm badge and AMTC patch with metal ANZAC 'A'.