British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-01-22, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
The first one is interesting with the upside down buttonhole fitting, the enamel appears not to have been fired and of recent manufacture, it is certainly not translucent, the second appears to have been aged, I presume it to the be similar to to spurious example shown in the second link provided by Luke in post twenty two?
A year or so ago, Vonshite was knocking out various fake aged WW2 Home Front badges, mostly ARP. They were made by the same process: they were able to fake the enamel look but were unable to get the exact font right or the manufacturer's name to the rear of the badge. More details here:

https://www.ww2civildefence.co.uk/fa...rp-badges.html
Old 04-04-22, 09:46 AM

Default Aux an SAS

Take a look at the CART (Coleshill Auxiliary Research Team) website www.staybehinds.com for more information. The Scout sections were already regular soldiers. The Auxiliers were Civilian/Home Guard. Both were asked in 1944 to volunteer for SAS
Details of the SAS Operations they went on in France can be seen on the website. Several were k.i.a.
Old 04-04-22, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
The first one is interesting with the upside down buttonhole fitting, the enamel appears not to have been fired and of recent manufacture, it is certainly not translucent, the second appears to have been aged, I presume it to the be similar to to spurious example shown in the second link provided by Luke in post twenty two?
Slightly late but the 2nd image is I believe the badge sold by CART but has had the outer rim removed to give it the appearance of an original...I remember the people from CART posting on here highlighting it a few years back, Gary
Old 21-01-23, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have read that on the expansion of the SAS in 1944 some members of the Auxiliary Units joined the SAS, as to whether this has ever been recorded I have no knowledge.

My Mother was a Home Guard Auxiliary who was the local Captains secretary in civilian life and did all the paperwork for the HG.

Rob
They did, if you are able to take a look at the official SAS War Diary, you will see reference and photographs of Auxiliary members joining the SAS. There is a copy of the diary available at the Royal Signals Museum available for public viewing
Old 03-02-23, 03:26 PM

This memorial at Langton Matravers records the names of some Dorset Auxilliary Unit men
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210415_103117.jpg (117.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Mike_H; 04-02-23 at 02:30 PM.