British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-23, 07:00 PM

Default Unknown possibly Canadian paratrooper wing

I don't own this piece which I bid for unsuccessfully on eBay. It was described by the seller out of the USA as a "Belgium Rigger Wing". I've never come across a rigger wing like this before however to my eyes the parachute, shroud lines and wings remind me of Canadian Paratrooper Wings. Does anyone know what this is?

D Para (1).jpg

D Para (2).jpg
Old 06-01-23, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

The basic design looks like a Canadian wing, but it is not an authorized Cdn pattern. The material and "D" are not typical of Cdn wings.
Old 07-01-23, 01:02 AM

Thanks for your input. It doesn't look like a Belgium paratrooper wing unless a Canadian insignia company is producing them for them which might explain why it looks Canadian.
Old 07-01-23, 10:35 PM

Default Fantasy Wing

My opinion is that this is a 'fantasy wing', probably produced as a civilian sewing notion. I saw something similar years ago in a sewing shop. The wing was identical to the original Canadian Army parachute qualification. White chute and wings on black, fuzzy, velvet-like backing. The only difference was that in place of the yellow/gold Maple leaf there were the letters 'AB' (assuming for Airborne). The letters had a rounded shape similiar to the 'AA' on the shoulder patch for the US 82nd AB Div.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 08-01-23, 05:45 PM

Thanks for this information. I thought it might have been one of those fashion pieces that you see sewn to civilian produced flight jackets for children.