British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-01-17, 08:32 PM

Default Royal Marine GS Cap

Did the Royal Marines ever wear a GS Cap as shown here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RM Beret.jpg (114.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 30-01-17, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hi ekim2525, welcome to the Forum.
Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 30-01-17, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim2525 View Post
Welcome to the forum, I dont think the RM wore the GSC as far as I know, others will confirm I'm sure

Gerard

Last edited by gb64; 31-01-17 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling !!
Old 30-01-17, 11:23 PM

Not that I have ever heard about
Old 01-02-17, 12:04 PM

I've never heard of the Royal Marines wearing GS caps but two RM Infantry Brigades, the 116th and 1117th served in North West Europe in 1945 and it seems possible that they might have worn the GS cap as it was the correct infantry military headdress at the time. It does not seem likely that they would have worn the blue RM beret.

Jon
Old 02-02-17, 12:10 AM

It is not mentioned in the RM uniforms and insignia book, it states that the RM went from khaki FS cap to blue beret in 1943, when the army went from khaki FS cap to GS cap.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 01-03-17, 10:48 PM

Smile RM Headwear

I've never come across that type of headwear in the Corps, either.
From 1903 - 1919 the Broderick (a cap without a peak) was worn by both the RMLI and the RMA though latterly only by ranks below the rank of Colour Sergeant. A new cap with a peak was introduced in 1933 and this had a removable white cover (used in Summer and abroad) and a red band.Blue FS caps were worn on board ship from 1942 and the khaki version for land service followed shortly afterwards.The blue beret with a red patch behind the badge arrived in 1942 and was worn on board ship and in shore establishments other than commando units where the green beret was worn - not all ranks at that time were commando trained, having opted for sea service.
During WW2, RMs also wore the Australian style slouch hat in the Far East, and borrowed American hats (as well as other kit) in the Korean War.
Since 1960, however, all Royal Marines are commando trained and wear the green beret except when in training, and this applies to both officers and men.
Having bored you all to distraction, I shall go to bed.
Old 01-03-17, 11:08 PM

One man's boredom is another's enlightenment, thank you.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 01-03-17, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbootneck View Post
I've never come across that type of headwear in the Corps, either.
From 1903 - 1919 the Broderick (a cap without a peak) was worn by both the RMLI and the RMA though latterly only by ranks below the rank of Colour Sergeant. A new cap with a peak was introduced in 1933 and this had a removable white cover (used in Summer and abroad) and a red band.Blue FS caps were worn on board ship from 1942 and the khaki version for land service followed shortly afterwards.The blue beret with a red patch behind the badge arrived in 1942 and was worn on board ship and in shore establishments other than commando units where the green beret was worn - not all ranks at that time were commando trained, having opted for sea service.
During WW2, RMs also wore the Australian style slouch hat in the Far East, and borrowed American hats (as well as other kit) in the Korean War.
Since 1960, however, all Royal Marines are commando trained and wear the green beret except when in training, and this applies to both officers and men.
Having bored you all to distraction, I shall go to bed.
What did they wear between 1919 and 1933?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 02-03-17, 09:03 AM

Default RM Headwear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
What did they wear between 1919 and 1933?

regards
Hi Simon
The Royal Marines Museum info is a bit vague in this area; it appears that the Broderick continued to be part of the uniform with a variation introduced in 1927. As photographs of that period are monochrome, it's impossible to be sure of the colours.
I was just a simple bootneck and these days I'm just a simple geriatric, but the RM Museum is a fairly reliable source of info. The place itself is worth a visit, even for non believers.
Regards
Vic
Old 02-03-17, 04:27 PM

This picture is of four Royal Marines who were survivors from LCF 15 which was sunk off Elba. They lost everything when the ship was sunk, they were landed at Ajaccio, Corsica. They were given GS caps to wear with no badges until replacement berets could be found. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture which is a copy.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS LCF 15.jpg (39.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-03-17, 08:51 PM

Default Royal Marine GS cap

Just to add a bit more detail to the information already provided: -

In 1903 the Broderick cap was introduced for both the RMLI and RMA. It continued to be worn until after the RMA and RMLI amalgamated to form the RM in 1923.

In 1923 RM other ranks were issued with a forage cap and a cap, service dress. Initially the new forage cap for other ranks was a Broderick cap with the addition of a peak. This continued to be worn until 1933. In that year a new peaked cap was introduced. This remained in use until 1952.

The khaki Field Service cap did not appear in Uniform Regulations until 1942 but photos show it was being worn by Marines much earlier in the war. The beret was introduced in 1943. The GS cap was never normally worn by members of the Corps.

Pete
Old 05-03-17, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim2525 View Post
On offer from one of ebay's well known enhancers of items. GS cap with added spurious marines badge IMO.

Jerry