British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-12-16, 03:41 AM

Default Help with ID of this Badge Please

Hi There, can anyone ID this badge please, I have been trying to find one but can't seem to find any information about it. Any help really welcome.

Oh and Happy Christmas to all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg What badge -.jpg (17.2 KB, 245 views)

But

I have some Cap badges that have come with the medal that I have in my family collection but really now very little about this subject....... Can anyone help!

Happy Collecting and thank you for any help that you Badge Collectors may offer.
Old 24-12-16, 05:20 AM

Hi,

I really can't get a good view of the badge, but by the general shape I'll give you four possibilities.

1) 5th Mahratta Light Infantry
2) 13th Frontier Force Rifles
3) 10th Baluch Regiment
4) 17th Dogras

All Indian.

Hope it's a help to you. Happy Christmas.

Regards,
Clay
Old 24-12-16, 05:29 AM

Thumbs up

Hi Clay,

Thanks for that, all I know is that it was an Officer who was in the Reserve Indian Army during WW1. Does that narrow down what it could be?

Thank again.
Chris.

But

I have some Cap badges that have come with the medal that I have in my family collection but really now very little about this subject....... Can anyone help!

Happy Collecting and thank you for any help that you Badge Collectors may offer.
Old 24-12-16, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Hi Clay,

Thanks for that, all I know is that it was an Officer who was in the Reserve Indian Army during WW1. Does that narrow down what it could be?

Thank again.
Chris.
Is WW1 the time window you assume the picture is from? In that case @Flatdog's suggestions will not help as the regiments he mentions are post 1922 ones.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 24-12-16, 07:54 PM

Default ID this badge Please!

Thanks for the background on Clays thoughts of what the badge could be.

Yes WW1 is the period as this chap applied to join Indian Army Reserve of Officers, Apr 1918, claiming "Knowledge of Tamil as he spent 7 years in Ceylon as tea planter, stated I am thoroughly experienced in the handling of natives and understand them fully".

May 1918, appointed probationer for Indian Army Reserve of Officers. Embarked for India, 29/7/18.

Does that help?

But

Old 08-12-17, 09:03 PM

Default Help with Badge ID PLease

Hi Again,
Does anyone know what badge is being shown on the pith helmet above?

Looks like a crescent moon, some roman numerals and 3 tigers facing in different directions.......sorry for the simple terms!

Does that help? Can you ID.
Old 08-12-17, 09:27 PM

How about a Ceylon Light Infantry badge? Worn 1881-1949. See Renfew/Cranston 'British Colonial Badges' Vol. 1 p. 189 #1097.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 09-12-17, 12:38 AM

Well done, Fougasse. Given the details - proficiency in Tamil - that sounds spot on!
Old 09-12-17, 05:11 AM

Thumbs up Thank You. :)

Hi Guys,

Thank you for that: I do not have that book sadly, would anyone be able to send me a scan of the page/badge we are talking about please?

Also would anyone have an original period badge that they would sell to me?

Not sure how communications works here, do you PM members or am I able to give my email address out?

Thank you again for the help gents (Thomas and Peter).

Regards,
Chris.

But

Old 09-12-17, 01:35 PM

Chris

I don't have a photo of the badge but the current Sri Lanka Light Infantry badge is clearly based on that iof its predecessor unit. Arctic Medals of Calgary, Alberta, canada has a helmet plate to the CLI - $260Cdn. But he is an honest dealer and easy to do uisness with if that's in your price range.

I also found this which may be useful, as you clearly have a specific chap in mind: list of officers of the unit:
https://www.scribd.com/document/2469...ers-Since-1881

If I were you I'd keep cruising ebay and other sites for a badge. James Militaria in the UK may have suggestions - he collects IA too. Good luck!

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: gif SLLI_Crest.gif (7.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-12-17, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Take some close up photos of front and back and post them on the Forum.

Can't find the Arctic Medals helmet plate but same seller has a CLI cap badge for sale now: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ceylon-Light...sAAOSwfcVUJgKV

Rgds, Thomas
Old 09-12-17, 10:04 PM

Default How do I post a photo on the forum?

Hi Peter and Thomas, some great advice, thank you.

I have a larger image but don't know or can't remember how to attach an image?

Can anyone help?

But

Old 09-12-17, 10:15 PM

Thumbs up Ceylon Officers list.

Thank you for the link, loads of great information there but appears not to include the guy I am trying to pin this badge on.

I have also compared the CLI badge with the photo.
It still looks different, you will be able to see when I am able to upload the image.

I'm sure with your guys help and knowledge you will be able to ID it though.

Cheers again for the help,
Chris.

But

Old 09-12-17, 10:22 PM

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...b3_attachments

Rgds, Thomas
Old 09-12-17, 11:49 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the pointers :) here is the improved image

Thank you here is the improved image of this unknown badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 915377703_o6 (3)_LI.jpg (40.9 KB, 40 views)

But