British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-04-21, 03:34 PM

Default South African Army Cap badges

Hi all, can anyone suggest if there are any resources, posters/lists/images of all the South African Army cap badges worn for the period 1960 to 1990?

Additionally can anyone provide a list/images of cap badges worn by South African Infantry regiments during WW2?

Cheers

Tony
Old 20-04-21, 06:33 AM

Tony,
There are two main reference books currently available, which are:
1) The Military badges and insignia of Southern Africa by Colin R Owen (deals mainly with the older badges as well as some of the more recent to 1990).

2) Border War Badges - A Guide to South Africa Military & Police Badges 1964-1994 by Andrew Ross Dinnes (this is more comprehensive and has colour photos of the period you are interested in).

Both of these seem to be frequently posted For Sale on a number of platforms on the internet, so you shouldn't have any difficulty sourcing them.

Andrew is a frequent contributor to this site and I'm sure he can assist you in sourcing a copy of his book?

Enjoy,

Christopher
Old 20-04-21, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fitter View Post
Tony,
There are two main reference books currently available, which are:
1) The Military badges and insignia of Southern Africa by Colin R Owen (deals mainly with the older badges as well as some of the more recent to 1990).

2) Border War Badges - A Guide to South Africa Military & Police Badges 1964-1994 by Andrew Ross Dinnes (this is more comprehensive and has colour photos of the period you are interested in).

Both of these seem to be frequently posted For Sale on a number of platforms on the internet, so you shouldn't have any difficulty sourcing them.

Andrew is a frequent contributor to this site and I'm sure he can assist you in sourcing a copy of his book?

Enjoy,

Christopher
That's fantastic, many thanks, very much appreciated!

Best regards

Tony
Old 20-04-21, 09:54 AM

Default SA badges

Alternatively you can go to the link on this forum in albums. Some time back I posted a series of cards on SA badges that may be of use. https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=2704
Old 20-04-21, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
Alternatively you can go to the link on this forum in albums. Some time back I posted a series of cards on SA badges that may be of use. https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=2704
Cheers, I'll have a look, many thanks!

Tony