British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-12-17, 03:04 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Thank you all for the help, advice and knowledge.

Okay the badge in question appears to be:

17th Loyal (Purbia) Regiment badge.
Pre Scroll type but also Kings crown.
Where did the tigers go it was that that foxed us. Ashok Nath's book Sowars and Sepoys has badges to the 17th but the cresent is not right under the numerals but to one side, and there is a scroll 'The loyal Regiment' under it, for the WW1 period
Old 16-12-17, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Where did the tigers go it was that that foxed us. Ashok Nath's book Sowars and Sepoys has badges to the 17th but the cresent is not right under the numerals but to one side, and there is a scroll 'The loyal Regiment' under it, for the WW1 period
Chris started another thread. There is a link to a picture of what you explain above: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...254#post430254

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 16-12-17, 02:51 PM

The 17th were on internal security duties in India for part of the War and eventually sent to Egypt as part of the Suez Canal security force. The regiment did not survive the 1922 reorganization of the IA.
Old 17-12-17, 09:27 PM
jamesmilitaria

Pre WW1 17th Loyal Regiment badge of the Indian Army. Nice early badge. Formed from the 3rd, 36th and 61st Bengal Native Infantry regiments that remained loyal during the mutiny..... hence the Loyal Regiment. After the 1922 reforms the 17th was one of the few regiments that was disbanded rather than being amalgamated.
Old 28-12-17, 10:24 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the additional Info.

Hi Guys,
Thank you for the additional information, really helpful and interesting stuff. Will try and get some service doc's to track down this chaps movements.

But

I have some Cap badges that have come with the medal that I have in my family collection but really now very little about this subject....... Can anyone help!

Happy Collecting and thank you for any help that you Badge Collectors may offer.