British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum  

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 25-03-19, 08:45 PM
JBBOND's Avatar
JBBOND JBBOND is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,437
Default

The welch is an exame of the copies made for a London seller in the 80' from the gaunt dies, sadly as I have two, though I also have two correct examples.
__________________
Regards,

Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25-03-19, 10:20 PM
3dg 3dg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
The welch is an exame of the copies made for a London seller in the 80' from the gaunt dies, sadly as I have two, though I also have two correct examples.
Thank you Jerry, may I see the correct badges please, if that's ok?
Shame it's a copy! It's a very good copy, well made though,but I'll keep it for reference.

Cheers
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 26-03-19, 01:39 AM
hagwalther's Avatar
hagwalther hagwalther is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,782
Default

Hi Chris,

Dorset, South Staffs, The Welch, 3rd Kings Own Hussars and Warwickshire are unofficial commissions which were made by Gaunt in the 1980's.

Rest OK!

Regards,

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 26-03-19, 06:59 AM
JBBOND's Avatar
JBBOND JBBOND is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Thank you Jerry, may I see the correct badges please, if that's ok?
Shame it's a copy! It's a very good copy, well made though,but I'll keep it for reference.

Cheers
Chris
Sure Chris. The most obvious differences are on the reverse, both the originals have maker marked sliders as well as plain backs, the unofficial commissions have the mirror reverse with the details of the front showing thru.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the welch by timmings mv.jpg (69.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg the Welch regiment AA smith and wright montage 1sv.jpg (48.9 KB, 17 views)
__________________
Regards,

Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 26-03-19, 08:01 AM
3dg 3dg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Chris,

Dorset, South Staffs, The Welch, 3rd Kings Own Hussars and Warwickshire are unofficial commissions which were made by Gaunt in the 1980's.

Rest OK!

Regards,

Chris
Good and useful information, very much appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 26-03-19, 08:04 AM
3dg 3dg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Sure Chris. The most obvious differences are on the reverse, both the originals have maker marked sliders as well as plain backs, the unofficial commissions have the mirror reverse with the details of the front showing thru.
Brilliant Jerry, there is quite a difference in the quality, lovely badges.
Thank you for your time sending me the pictures of them, greatly appreciated.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 26-03-19, 03:14 PM
JBBOND's Avatar
JBBOND JBBOND is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wales
Posts: 3,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Brilliant Jerry, there is quite a difference in the quality, lovely badges.
Thank you for your time sending me the pictures of them, greatly appreciated.

Chris
Chris, I am always to happy to help when I can.
__________________
Regards,

Jerry
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.