British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-04-20, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
I think you mean the Royal Ulster Constabulary!
23rd November 1999

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 13-04-20, 09:28 PM

It is a splendid idea and would like to think that something will be achieved by it.....................for those who deserve it; front line staff who each and every day they work face the possibility of becoming a victim themselves.

I volunteered and today had my first task to undertake, nothing too difficult or onerous, collect a prescription and deliver it to a self isolater.

I don't believe I warrant any recognition; I have done what all good neighbours should do in extraordinary times such as this.

I shall continue to undertake any task that comes my way, besides, it gets me out of the house and introduces me to people I would probably have never met.

Stay safe all.

Regards.

Brian
Old 13-05-20, 08:31 PM

I can see why people think it's a good idea for a medal. But where would it stop? The key worker role covers a monolithic part of society. Volunteers are very much appreciated, but what would the criteria be? How many hours voluntary service? A medal for the NHS? What do you class as front line in a hospital?
I work on critical care for the NHS. Maybe that's front line? Or maybe it's anyone patient facing? Porters and cleaners have had, and died from covid19.

I appreciate public support. But i'm no hero. I contracted the virus at work, as have several of my colleagues, and I was as worried as any member of the public would be in the same situation. Basically, we give care because that is what we do, and enjoy. We just happen to be giving care at a time of national crisis.
billyh
Old 13-05-20, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy4294 View Post
I can see why people think it's a good idea for a medal. But where would it stop? The key worker role covers a monolithic part of society. Volunteers are very much appreciated, but what would the criteria be? How many hours voluntary service? A medal for the NHS? What do you class as front line in a hospital?
I work on critical care for the NHS. Maybe that's front line? Or maybe it's anyone patient facing? Porters and cleaners have had, and died from covid19.

I appreciate public support. But i'm no hero. I contracted the virus at work, as have several of my colleagues, and I was as worried as any member of the public would be in the same situation. Basically, we give care because that is what we do, and enjoy. We just happen to be giving care at a time of national crisis.
billyh
Good man
Old 14-05-20, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy4294 View Post
Volunteers are very much appreciated, but what would the criteria be? How many hours voluntary service?

Basically, we give care because that is what we do, and enjoy. We just happen to be giving care at a time of national crisis.
When the initial call for volunteers went out over 500,000 responded , a lot of them were not needed (some are complaining about it being a waste of time) . So, while it was good of them to volunteer , would they all be deserving of a medal ?

I totally agree with Billy about the job being what we do and enjoy , I certainly haven't worked in hospitals for 30 years for the cash !

Poppy and British Legion Wanted