British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-07-12, 05:32 PM

Default Mutiny of the 13th Lancashire Bn Parachute Regt.

I have just seen a reference to the "Mutiny of the 13th (Lancashire ) Battaliion, Parachute Regiment " on a medal website.

Something I have never heard of before and I wonder if someone can give some background to the event and a description of what actually took place please.

Thanks

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-07-12, 05:53 PM
lionel

found this online

Mutiny and disbandment
On their return from Java, the 13th Parachute Battalion was stationed at Muar Camp in Malaya. The camp consisted of tents with no electricity, and no facilities for washing, cooking or recreation. Unhappy with the conditions, at 07:00 on 14 May around 260 privates grouped together and refused to disperse when ordered to do so by the orderly officer. The commanding officer then spoke to the men and ordered them to return to duty, which they again refused to do. That afternoon the commanding general arrived and spoke to them. They were then ordered to fall in and when they failed to comply, 258 men were taken into military custody.[97] A Court of Inquiry was held which decided the 258 men were to stand trial for mutiny. In the trial, three men were acquitted, eight were sentenced to five years' penal servitude and discharged from the army, and the rest were given two years imprisonment with hard labour and discharged.[97] Two days after sentencing, the Secretary of State for War quashed all the convictions, stating that the Judge Advocate-General had advised him that there were, "a number of irregularities of a substantial nature which may well have prejudiced the accused individually. These irregularities in his opinion rendered the trial as a whole so unsatisfactory that the convictions ought not to be allowed to stand."[98]
The brigade spent two months in Malaya, before being ordered to rejoin the 6th Airborne Division in Palestine.[99] The 13th Parachute Battalion was disbanded before leaving Malaya, and the remainder of the brigade arrived at Nathanya in Palestine on 5 August 1946. Shortly after disembarking, orders were received that the brigade was to be disbanded. Of the two remaining parachute battalions, the 7th was amalgamated with the 17th Parachute Battalion, retaining the number of the senior battalion, and the 12th Parachute Battalion was disbanded. Any men not immediately demobbed were distributed among the other battalions in the division. On 13 September, the 22nd Independent Parachute Company, no longer part of the brigade by this time, was also disbanded.[100]
Old 15-07-12, 06:16 PM

Thanks Lionel.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-09-12, 05:14 PM

I was told many years back that because of this mutiny it was decided that the title `Royal ` would not be awarded to the Parachute regt as had been planned ?? cant proove this but heard it off a lot of old sweats .

Last edited by NEMO; 20-09-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 20-09-12, 06:14 PM

I am curious to know how many of the members of 13 Bn The Parachute Regiment were conscripts.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 17-02-20, 04:56 PM

Default Trevor Laker (Oldguern)

I was there. One of the 50 new recruits flown out to join the 13th on their return from Java. Now 95 years old.How many of us still here?