British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-11-22, 11:01 AM

Default MOD fire service

Does anyone know the time line for use of this MOD fire service badge?
Thank you
Billyh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20221118_105745_976.jpg (48.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 21-11-22, 04:09 PM

Perhaps this badge was a short lived interim badge? or possibly a prototype?
Billyh
Old 21-11-22, 06:50 PM

It's not.

In the 1990s I was, by virtue of my job in the Ministry of Defence, an officially accredited Arms Control inspector for the Conventional Forces in Europe (CFE) Treaty and the Vienna Document Accords.

MOD policy - unlike the Americans' - was that civilians taking part in inspection teams had to be dressed in uniform. I offered to bring my own kit, having been TA and an ACF officer, but this was declined and I was kitted out by JACIG (Joint Arms Control Implementation Group) who ran our inspection teams. (They did let me bring my own boots). A full suit of DPM, as it still was. Then I was handed a generic khaki beret, which had upon it this very badge - with the "Fire Service" part covered over/erased (whichever).

On return from my first mission I asked if I could keep the JACIG brassard (which was a fully embroidered 'squadron crest' style on an OG brassard) - this was the first type, before the JACIG TRF (similar to the BRIXMIS badge) was introduced, and the beret with cap badge. I was politely told to take a long walk off a short pier.

When I left post, my military counterpart from JACIG came to the leaving drinks and handed me an envelope - with the brassard in it. He said he'd saved it from being binned. But I never got the - this - badge.
Old 21-11-22, 07:36 PM

Thank you. Quite an interesting badge then. Are you sure the 'fire service' part was erased? or was the badge specifically made for the role? The enamel doesn't look as though it's been overlayed.
Billyh
Old 22-11-22, 07:43 AM

Default MOD BADGE

Hello, I have these 2 MOD badges in my "Fire Collection" and I have them titled as "Ministry of Defence Procurement Executive ( PE ) Fire Service" both in Chrome/White metal. The 2nd badge has no enamel in the crown but the 1st has.
engr9266

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 22-11-22, 07:45 AM

Default MOD BADGE

Hello, I have these 2 MOD badges in my "Fire Collection" and I have them titled as "Ministry of Defence Procurement Executive ( PE ) Fire Service" both in Chrome/White metal. The 2nd badge has no enamel in the crown but the 1st has. Both have east-west lugs.
engr9266

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 22-11-22, 09:38 AM

Hello Jerry,
Do you have more information on the Procurement side of things? Perhaps the enameled crown denotes higher standing? or it might just be a newer/older style.
Billyh

Last edited by billy4294; 22-11-22 at 09:52 AM.
Old 22-11-22, 10:46 AM

From IWM site (no photo available) :

Quote:
Chrome headdress Badge to the Procurement Executive Fire Service, being a St. Edward's (Queen's) crown, with red enamel cushion, supplanting the top arm of an eight-point diamond-cut star, over the centre of the star a circlet of red enamel on which MINISTRY OF DEFENCE, on the patterned centre of the circlet is embossed the EiiR cypher. Two loops and cotter pin to reverse.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30062666

Also this 2013 thread states :NSN is 8455-99-137-5449

Army Fire Service Procurement Executive

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 22-11-22, 12:51 PM

Whoever it was designed for, that's the badge I wore (in 1995 and subsequently) on CFE and Vienna Doc missions out of JACIG. I regret I can't remember if the crown was enamelled.
Old 22-11-22, 02:34 PM

I have the same two types as Jerry, also down as Procurement Service (I think maybe labelled wrong in my album, though).

I also have two red enamel MOD Police prototypes that are very similar.