British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-10-19, 06:41 PM

Default Calico Printers Mystery

I am just putting together the next edition of The Formation Sign which will illustrate all the Calico Printers printed badges that surfaced this year on Antiques Roadshow and from a Belgian collector on this Forum.

The badge shown is one I do not recognise and my best guess at the initials would be Chief Inspector Naval Ordnance - if such a thing existed.

Can anyone help with a positive ID please?

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CINO.jpg (95.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 30-10-19, 06:56 PM

Hardly supporting evidence I suppose, but a lapel badge of the Inspectorate of Naval Ordnance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191030_185344047.jpg (22.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-11-19, 09:52 AM

I cannot imagine that a Chief Inspector of Naval Ordnance would have required a large production run of printed badges.
Old 01-11-19, 10:02 AM

Only one at a time and not printed, presumably, unless the initials for Chief Inspector of Naval Ordnance wore worn by members of the Naval Ordnance Inspectors Department.
Old 01-11-19, 10:53 AM

With a quick Google I found this on the National Archives site. Seems unlikely that Chief Inspector wore a badge but perhaps he had associated staff?

Jon

The Naval Ordnance Inspection Department (NOID) was formed under the Chief Inspector of Naval Ordnance (CINO) in 1922 to avoid the deficiencies in quality of guns and ammunition which had previously become evident after the battles of the Falkland Islands and Jutland in the First World War. An area organisation was created to supervise the new manufacture of weapons and empty and filled ammunition, to carry out proof firing at the various ranges, and to provide a world-wide service to the fleet based on gunwharfs and ammunition depots. This was later extended to torpedo manufacture and ranging, and to mines.

In later years reorganisations caused new names to be given to NOID; firstly, Directorate of Weapons Quality (DWQ(N)), then, Directorate of Naval Ordnance Services (DN Ord S), and later Directorate of Technical Services (Warship Equipment) (DTS(WE)).

A laboratory for conducting metallurgical testing and instrumentation work for CINO was opened in Sheffield before World War Two, and was known as the Bragg Laboratory from 1938 onwards. In the course of time it came to employ a wide range of chemical and physical analytical techniques, but the organisation and functions remained largely unchanged until 1968.

Tags
cino mystery badge