British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-10-17, 05:57 AM

Hi Paul take a look here :
https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-t...in-windows-10/

Derrick.
Old 16-10-17, 01:54 PM

Thanks Derrick. I had seen threads on this on TenForums. Would be interested to hear if others on this forum have made the mentioned change to registry. I'm not up to much using a PC and would like some feedback from anyone here as the guys on Tenforum are unknown to me. Regards, Paul.
Old 16-10-17, 02:44 PM

Hi Paul, Have you tried Right clicking a picture , then "open with..." then you might see "windows photo viewer" in the list.?

Derrick.
Old 16-10-17, 09:03 PM

It is named in program files but nothing to get it going. If I had updated to Windows 10 I think it would be possible to get it going but as the new PC has Windows 10 installed I think the registry needs the alteration. Regards, Paul.
Old 17-10-17, 07:25 AM

My laptop us a few years old but was high spec and when the hard drive failed I had it replaced with a new one with win10 which means it treats win10 as original equipment so I also lost the old photo viewer and installed a different free viewer from the app store.

Jerry
Old 17-10-17, 12:58 PM

Hello Jerry. How does your viewer compare and what is it called? Does it rotate pictures you take by small fractions- not just 90 degree fractions? Can it enlarge by percentage and show the size at 100 percent on screen? I would certainly consider other options to Windows Photo Viewer if the such options are easy to use/similar. Regards, Paul.
Old 17-10-17, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Hello Jerry. How does your viewer compare and what is it called? Does it rotate pictures you take by small fractions- not just 90 degree fractions? Can it enlarge by percentage and show the size at 100 percent on screen? I would certainly consider other options to Windows Photo Viewer if the such options are easy to use/similar. Regards, Paul.
Paul,

it is called aviary, not sure yet how good it is, it only rotates in 90 degree increments which is not great. The replacement viewer that comes with win10, Photos, has macro increments if you use the edit, crop/rotate function rather than the rotate, if that makes sense. I find the new one is good for saturation which is the main thing I wanted, the ability to play with colour/brightness etc to abetter degree than you can with the new win10 Photos and could in the old windows viewer.

It was free and the first one I tried, perhaps given time I'll find a better one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF 1copy.jpg (40.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Aviary Photo_131526401351043130.jpg (37.2 KB, 14 views)

Jerry
Old 17-10-17, 09:46 PM

Thanks Jerry- your tip on adjusting the picture by less than 90 degrees is a great help- I had not spotted that. Regards, Paul.
Old 22-10-17, 07:09 PM

Default windows 10

Hi All,

I was forced into using windows 10 as I needed a new computer. Apart from some initial problems with setting up the email account, I've found it ok and I'm getting on a bit and am certainly no computer buff ! Main issue I have is that you don't have an instant block on un-wanted emails....

Mark
Old 23-10-17, 03:54 PM

Having (like everyone else) had to get used to Windows 10, my main grouse now is that I cannot save and dissect any interesting Web page now like I could on Xp ... a very useful asset for archiving. All I can do now is to save it under "Favourites" ... which I can't do anything with. And if the page gets changed or taken off line ... that's it, gone ! You might say "print it off" which I do sometimes, but this is not always practicable. And, if I do, the date and page numbers are no longer given. I find this very frustrating. Also all the e-mails I had accumulated when on Xp were deleted in Windows 10, and, as Mike says, the are some privacy issues ; they seem to know every site I have visited or have downloaded. I could go on, but what's the point. Ahhhgggggh !

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 23-10-17 at 04:01 PM.
Old 23-10-17, 05:07 PM

Hardly a perfect solution, but copy & paste web page content to Word docs & file them?
Old 23-10-17, 06:11 PM

Talking

Depending of the web browser you use,

you can download an "Extension" for Microsoft Edge to save page as htm (it shows free with a * that will probably offer you an upgrade for a price.)

Change to Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and I'm sure that will save the web page to disk.
Or change to Firefox .

You should also be able to print the web page using Microsoft pdf printer and save some ink and paper.
Derrick.
edge-save-to-htm.jpg

Last edited by Derrick; 23-10-17 at 06:14 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 23-10-17, 07:48 PM

Hi Leigh & Derrick
Many thanks for your suggestions. I will give them a try and let you know how I get on. My thanks again. Jeff
Old 29-10-17, 04:07 PM

Default Test Results

Hi Leigh & Derrick
As promised, in reply to your kind suggestions re my problem with Windows 10 :
Leigh;
Thanks for your tip, viz copy and paste, tho' actually I was aware of this one. Although I have had a couple of unexpected problems here ... possibly unique to me.
(1) I can only paste into MS Word for some reason, and even this does not always work satisfactorily .. probably because I have an older version (Word 2002) and don't fancy paying another £60 for an update.
(2) Yes, this is fine (when it works), but I cannot extract the pics to file them separately elsewhere. Still, a very useful application.
But anyway, many thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated I assure you.

Derrick;
Many thanks for your two interesting suggestions.
Re the "Save HTML in Edge" option ; this seems to work ok, leaving a convenient file in the "Downloads" folder. Problem is that, so far with all the pages I have tried this only seems to record the text, ie no pics, but a useful tool nevertheless.
As far as changing my browser from "Edge" to "Internet Explorer 11" is concerned ; I am sorry to say this did not work. My version of Windows 10 simply will not allow me to select it !? But you were quite correct in suggesting an alternative browser, since on Google Chrome I seem to have (more or less) been able to download and dissect the file in conjunction with "Save HTML in Edge" in a similar way that I was able to do in Windows Xp, so that I can now re-assemble the information (and pics) to suit the layout in my files.
Once again, many thanks to you both for your kind assistance. Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 29-10-17 at 04:28 PM.
Old 29-10-17, 05:39 PM

You may be able to copy & paste images which you have copied to the doc. from the doc. to a file?