British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-03-16, 10:45 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

When I signed up, the people with the foulest mouths were generally Officers and NCO's.
The word profanity is a little old fashioned particularly for a load of ex service men, unless of course, you are expecting to walk around the corner and bump into Jesus.
Ivan is dead right, this is payback and it does stink !!
The question Thomas has asked is easily answered, Andy will not be back!, I certainly think the forum has lost it's appeal and it's direction, that is an opinion !!
Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 11-03-16 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-03-16, 01:18 AM

Now I find out that Andy was not swearing but just doing what 99% of members do when they get irate, first letter and then stars to let people make their own minds up.

How you can call a letter and the stars profanity is beyond me, actually it is not beyond me, you have been waiting for the opportunity to put the boot in and last night the opportunity arose, if you can not accept my criticism it will prove the point.

Alan as a moderator you should not be seen to be biased and on this occasion you have failed miserably, if we were to read back over a few threads, you and Andy have disagreed several times, I now believe this to be purely personal and you are using your position as a moderator to " get your own back ", I have come to the conclusion that you are no longer a suitable member to be a moderator.

Sorry Mike but you know me, if I feel it has to be said, I will say it.

Dave.

Dave.
Old 11-03-16, 02:21 AM

I don't understand what the problem was, Andy is one of the best members of this forum and I for one have benefited from his knowledge over the years. I must admit this has given me second thoughts about staying on this forum, F*** it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 11-03-16, 08:55 AM

I'm obviously too young to see the full xxx uncut sweedish version of this thread so only have the current one to go on but isn't Andy only taking another of his long weekend breaks as he has in the past, and not actually banned as such.
Old 11-03-16, 09:02 AM

Now then, Now then, Now then, Then now (in words of General Sir Cecil Antony Hogmanay Melchett!) have I missed something?
I certainly appear to have!
Old 11-03-16, 09:11 AM

Actually I think it was "Now then, Then now, Now then, Then, Then, Then now."
"Now then, what's all the fuss about?"
Old 11-03-16, 10:28 AM

Andy and Alan have disagreed about a badge, they often do ?

Because Andy got a little agitated with Alan and would not lie down and roll over and because some of Andy's comments included some swearing, hidden by the old star, which is used by loads of members and generally accepted by most, Alan accused Andy of using profanities and banned him for a week.

This has put a moderator who is supposed to be unbiased out on a limb, If Alan is allowed to have an opinion then so is Andy, when Alan messaged Andy to tell him he was banned for a week, Andy wrote back asking him what he had done to merit a ban and was told that the ban had been extended to a life ban.

Clearly Andy ruffles a few feathers, he has risen through the ranks in the Welsh Guards from that of a Junior Leader to the rank of Major, he has been there and done it on top of which, he collected badges for nearly all that time, contrary to what some people thinks, he accepts that he doesn't know it all and that he still has things to learn but in my opinion, he knows more than most.

We all know that over the last couple of years, Alan and Andy have had their differences but surely that's what constitutes a debate, you don't have to fall out and you certainly do not use your position as a moderator on the forum to get your own back on a member who happens to disagree with your own opinions.

This is without doubt a stitch up, if someone doesn't like Andy, that's their business, live with it, he is a man who is always willing to help and advise and to the best of my knowledge he has never led anyone astray.

Now you have the gist of what went on, make your own mind up, for those who do not like Andy, you will be pleased to know that even if the ban was lifted, he will not participate any more while Alan remains a moderator.

I have made a lot of really good friends whist on the forum and I appreciate every one, joining the forum was a very good move for me, thanks Malc !! but this has left a sour taste in my mouth, and act which in itself should not be allowed to happen, a man in authority should not be allowed to use his position to satisfy his personal grievances against another forum member.

The rules dictate that we do not make personal attacks on other members but there should be a proviso, no personal attacks against other members as long as they act responsibly and in a decent manner, Alan has overstepped that mark ??

Remove this Alan, this action you have taken is s**t and as always with s**t, it stinks.

A very disappointed Dave.
Old 11-03-16, 10:49 AM

Dave,
Very clearly, I had missed something, many thanks for explaining recent events!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Andy and Alan have disagreed about a badge, they often do ?

Because Andy got a little agitated with Alan and would not lie down and roll over and because some of Andy's comments included some swearing, hidden by the old star, which is used by loads of members and generally accepted by most, Alan accused Andy of using profanities and banned him for a week.

This has put a moderator who is supposed to be unbiased out on a limb, If Alan is allowed to have an opinion then so is Andy, when Alan messaged Andy to tell him he was banned for a week, Andy wrote back asking him what he had done to merit a ban and was told that the ban had been extended to a life ban.

Clearly Andy ruffles a few feathers, he has risen through the ranks in the Welsh Guards from that of a Junior Leader to the rank of Major, he has been there and done it on top of which, he collected badges for nearly all that time, contrary to what some people thinks, he accepts that he doesn't know it all and that he still has things to learn but in my opinion, he knows more than most.

We all know that over the last couple of years, Alan and Andy have had their differences but surely that's what constitutes a debate, you don't have to fall out and you certainly do not use your position as a moderator on the forum to get your own back on a member who happens to disagree with your own opinions.

This is without doubt a stitch up, if someone doesn't like Andy, that's their business, live with it, he is a man who is always willing to help and advise and to the best of my knowledge he has never led anyone astray.

Now you have the gist of what went on, make your own mind up, for those who do not like Andy, you will be pleased to know that even if the ban was lifted, he will not participate any more while Alan remains a moderator.

I have made a lot of really good friends whist on the forum and I appreciate every one, joining the forum was a very good move for me, thanks Malc !! but this has left a sour taste in my mouth, and act which in itself should not be allowed to happen, a man in authority should not be allowed to use his position to satisfy his personal grievances against another forum member.

The rules dictate that we do not make personal attacks on other members but there should be a proviso, no personal attacks against other members as long as they act responsibly and in a decent manner, Alan has overstepped that mark ??

Remove this Alan, this action you have taken is s**t and as always with s**t, it stinks.

A very disappointed Dave.
Old 11-03-16, 11:22 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I'm obviously too young to see the full xxx uncut sweedish version of this thread so only have the current one to go on but isn't Andy only taking another of his long weekend breaks as he has in the past, and not actually banned as such.
Magpie look under Andys Name in previous posts it say Banned.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 11-03-16, 11:55 AM

Alan also say's Andy is having a break from the forum, I don't know if you can have temp suspended under his name instead which would make things a bit clearer but if he's banned for good then break should be replaced and everyone would know.
Old 11-03-16, 04:22 PM

Default andys ban

im fairly new to this forum,but since joining have bought badges off dave c, malcom davey and alan o, all of which i was pleased with, also bought from andy again well pleased with what i recieved,the part of this argument i cant get my head round is why any moderator should have the right to ban anyone with a point of view differing from his, if this was the case, who knows, if any member is found to be selling fake badges on the forum or other sites then surely everyone on here either friend or foe would congratulate a moderator for telling the membership and ban him for life immediately, but in my opinion a few f**ks or s**ts from grown up members who never served just love collecting badges, to those lowly privates to high ranking officers means nothing, just that whichever member who uses them is irate and letting off steam, lets all get on with our hobby, from experts to novices, and let us ask questions, agree and disagree, i get on this forum everyday,i enjoy the photos, advice and knowing if i buy a badge it will be a real one, i realise how andy must be feeling, now i just hope he returns soon, as i am sure a guy with his knowledge and integrity is a bonus for the forum.
Old 11-03-16, 04:39 PM

I think we should bring back Duelling.....a lot less people would get offended !
Andy
Ps. Alan and Andy both do a lot for this Forum and Hobby.
Old 11-03-16, 05:42 PM

Default andys ban

hi i would just like it known that i respect both andy and alan and hope they resolve their differences so as not to further harm the forum which i love reading thanks mike c
Old 11-03-16, 06:45 PM

Both Alan and Andy can be entrenched in their opinions and can come across a bit sharp- but no ones perfect. They both contribute a lot and this incident can only be damaging to the forum. I would hope a third party such as Mike or Bill A looked into this. That should be made clear.
I may have splinters in my backside but I can't be sure I know the whole story. Regards, Paul.
Old 11-03-16, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Both Alan and Andy can be entrenched in their opinions and can come across a bit sharp- but no ones perfect. They both contribute a lot and this incident can only be damaging to the forum. I would hope a third party such as Mike or Bill A looked into this. That should be made clear.
I may have splinters in my backside but I can't be sure I know the whole story. Regards, Paul.
Hi all,
I am hoping this dispute can be amicably settled. Both Alan and Andy are valuable members of this Forum. Tinto.

Here are words from FMT600 on another thread:
Forum members,

I really am afraid that you will in this instance have to tar me with the sitting on the fence brush, I'm only now aware from this thread and the link to the other thread in it as to give me some idea of what has gone on.

As there are always two sides to any story and I'm listening/reading them both, but I'm afraid their is a dark void in exactly what went on due to some posts having been deleted, that is why I'm fence sitting as I'm afraid I don't have all the facts, I even though being a world leader in the use of profanity in ore than one language (possibly due to being an ex Infantry Warrant Officer) do try to minimise its use on public Forums as I know from my life outside the Army it can upset some people and get one in hot water (I could think of a less politically correct way to put this referring to something brown and smelly but will defer on this occasion), however it seems to be in fairly common use here utilising the use of ** or the likes to leave the exact words interpretation to the reader, that does not bother me one bit, but if that's a breach of rules I think we should all be reminded of that.

What I will say irrespective of the exact circumstances is that I'm very sorry to see Andy no longer here on the Forum and would very much hope that in the cold light of day when things have calmed down all parties may reconsider their positons, speak to each other and hopefully reconcile, as despite wherever Andy has ruffled peoples feathers by the way he comes across (I and Andy have on occasion disagreed on things) I firmly believe he is genuinely a nice and generous person who has freely helped/educated numerous Forum members (including myself on badges outside my field of expertise) and I think its a real shame and a loss to the great majority of members if he is to stay away permanently from this Forum.

Having said all that I will also say that I don't have an axe to grind with Alan, who's badge knowledge I also greatly respect along with the time and effort he puts in to providing us with what is a free Forum who as a moderator has the difficult task of keeping things in order on here, who says that a number of Forum members have recently complained about Andy and whom additionally appears to feel personally wronged on this occasion, I hope the later is not irreparable and regarding the former I personally think its a shame that those people complaining could not sort things out personally with Andy as I don't think to my knowledge Andy has made any personal public attacks on members? Or have I missed something else?

I will be keeping in touch with Andy and emailing him shortly reiterating my comments above and would ask all parties to sit back take a condor moment and try to work through this before people split into taking sides, which I fear would only be detrimental to the Forum as a whole and I would hate to see anyone leave over this whilst people are still hot under the collar.

Best wishes to all,

FMT600